The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She was bred in the end of feb / beginning of march. If I count 150 days from when she was first with the buck that put her at August 1....she was with him for 3 weeks, but I suspect her heat was around a week in. She started filling her udder about a month ago. These are some pics this morning...she looks like she's starting to hollow by her hip bones a little. Lig checks don't work on her, I think I've only ever been able to feel them twice. Kids start back to school this week and it's going to be nuts....hoping she goes in the next day or two when I'll be home a little more. Udder isn't strutted, but I know that can happen very close to the actual birth. Any thoughts....?

image-1771054284.jpg

image-1903786891.jpg

image-2605877336.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, it's been like this for several weeks now....she was dried off about a month before she was bred, and her udder was very small up until about a month ago. It's been slowly enlarging over the last month-ish. Today it feels more firm, but certainly not yet full. I think I'm going to shave her back side this evening...I'm sure I'll be able to take better photos after she's cleaned up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gosh, for her sake I hope you're wrong, lol! She's so waddly and huffy puffy trying to get up the hill to our house already, i think she'll burst if she goes another month! :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'd say two-three. Might consider making a sling ( lol ) for her udder if it gets any bigger.... I'd be worried about it getting caught on something on the ground..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to pull out my binder and do a date count. Thinking about it, there's no way it could be another month unless it was an immaculate conception....you'd think I'd have counted and marked it down straight off - I do know I wrote down the dates she was with the buck though.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
To me, her udder makes it look really close. But her girly area doesn't... I guess we'll just have to wait and see? :shrug: :scratch:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These will be her first babies with us. The woman I got her from said she's had several sets of twins and is a really good milker. I suppose that might explain the very large udder, lol!

·
1,983 Posts
It looks like she has a few in there! She is still carrying very wide. When she is getting closer you will look at her one day and think how thin she looks because the kids will move into position. I don't think she has a month left, but I don't think she is going to kid this weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of my girls is very interested in watching her progress (said daughter is 8 and wants to be a vet) so she and I went out just now to check on her. So cool, she's so full of babies that you can see the legs moving around on the side of her belly! We touched, and could feel all of the little knees and hooves - I swear her belly had corners from stretched out limbs! No matter how many babies we have - in any form - it's still so amazing to me. I still can't drag myself away from the incubator on hatch day and we've had chickens for years!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know, I love what it's done for our kids too. All of the animals....we set up incubators in our elementary kids classrooms (three in elementary right now) and teach the kids about how the chicks grow and hatch - I have so much fun doing that! My four year old comes with me and helps, and he can candle an egg like a pro! It's so fun y seeing him sit down and check each one.....good, good - see the veins?, good, oops this one is a dud. The goats have made the birds and bees convos go so much easier and more naturally with all six kids, because we start out talking about what they see with the goats, then carry it over to humans. And witnessing the birth of our last goat baby just blew them away!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts