Does the buck or doe have the stronger genes?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I have read in some places that the buck has the stronger genes and therefore the kids will resemble more of the sires side. Is that true? I always thought it was 50/50.

If it is true then would you be able to breed an average doe to a fantastic buck with great genes and get a kid that could show? Just curious about this.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think its like any human kid -- some will resemble mom some will resemble dad and some will be a good mix of the two.

I look like my dad sound like my mom, and look a lot like my grandmom on my dad;s side when she was my age (so I am told) but I have some things about me that are like my mom too.

my experience with goat breeding is the same. and some does lend more to producing offspring like them while others more like the sire of their kids.

you have color, structure, udder, personality all to consider in what will the kid favor more

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with Stacey. My youngest daughter looks like me, but she has her dad's hair and eyes. My oldest daughter looks like her dad, those hazel blue eyes and thick dark eyelashes, and very slender.
    My son has my skin tone, his dad's hair, eyes, lips and ears LOL

As for my goats, we only have 3 goat kids so far and all have the same sire. One kid looks like his sire, different colored head, but he's going to be a lot bigger than his dam. The twins don't have the boer color. We think the dam is boer/kiko mix or boer/dairy mix. THe kids don't have boer coloring. I am soooo in love with their color :)

4. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Ok thanks, Thats what I had thought also, but I have a goat book, and it says the the kids do tend to resemble the father genes more. That was interesting to me as I had never heard that before.

5. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would love it that were true since I'm importing bucks from Saada in 2011. Goats have 60 chromosomes with the ovum and sperm contributing 30 each. As with humans you never really can accurately predict what the offspring is going to take from each.

6. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Oh also the other thing that made the think twice about this, was somewhere on this board, I read about breeding Lamanchas to Nubians, and someone said that if the buck is the Nubian then the kids are more likely to have the long ears, but if the Nubian is the Doe they are less likely. so that also made me think that there could be something to the Buck having the stronger genes. But now I can't find where that post was.

7. I have seen some does throw the sire 100%. Then I have seen others look just like their dam. Like posted then you get the in between. My favorites are the where the heck did you come froms. These kids I have found look more like a grate grand in the back ground once they were dug up. Those are my faves though, nothing like you thought...lol. Alot like Christmas.