The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if the Goat Weigh Tape gives correct weights, I’ve been contemplating getting a scale, but most are expensive (my budget is around $300 of anyone has recommendations for scales) so I was wondering if the tape gives correct weights. I’ve seen a lot of older threads about scales and it reminded me about this so I figured I’d make my own thread.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
The tape measure gives a pretty close estimate

Reactions: MisFit Ranch

·
14,760 Posts
I am not sure about the dairy weight tape on dairy goats, I know it doesn't work on Boer goats. Even the heart girth vs body length method is hit and miss.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Agreed. I do think with Boer goats doing the heart girth x heart girth x body length divided by 300 + 10 = probably works best, but can't say on dairy goats.
The above mentioned method (without adding 10 lbs) works well on dairy goats also. Accurate within 3-5 pounds. Have found just measuring only the heart girth by using the "goat weight tapes" measurements to be off more than I am comfortable with. (10-14 pounds less than actual weight for dairy goats)

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I bought a scale and I compared everyone with the weigh tape. It was spot on for some, and 5-10# off either way for others. I have Nubians and mini-Nubians.

I bought this one. I used a coupon from the mail too and ended up getting it for like $67and free ship. I have no complaints about it. I usually put it on my milk stand to weigh my girls.

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
You can also use just a regular tape measure. Fiasco farm has a scale that converts the inches into pounds. I've found with my dairy herd it's about 5-10# light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts