Does this guy look good?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    This guy is ours if we want him. He is a nigerian dwarf, non-registered, almost 6 weeks old about 10 pounds guesstimate. What do you guys think? He looks pretty healthy to me, do any of you see anything I need to think about? He is utd on disbudding, castration, shots and worming. I just can't do another sick goatie right now, I'm all out! I knew Rowdy might have problems and I am glad we were here for him, but I don't want to do it again right now!

Attached Files:

2. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    He looks good to me, I would be concerned about mites. (not based on anything I see in the picture) That is a big problem this time of year and they spread like bunnies. :slapfloor: Other than that I don't see or think of any problems.

3. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
  4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    please excuse my ignorance, but how do you treat goats for mites?

Bella won't stop crying out. Its been going on for forever. I finally had a brain storm and put our outside dog in a crate beside her pen. They can touch noses if they want. So far so good! They have met and played together several times so she is familiar. My dog hates being inside unless its really cold, but hopefully she will tolerate it for a few nights. we are supposed to get this boy at the end of the week so I am praying she won't get stressed out before we can get her a pal. We've been intentional about giving her a lot of play time and cuddles, but as soon as we leave she starts crying and crying! I feel so bad for her! It makes me want to cry all over again. :GAAH:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Did you mean lice SkyesRanch? Mites you can see the effects of with bald patches and hair loss around the eyes etc. Treatment is varied.

Lice treatment is also varied but I like VetRx down the spine - all natural ad works well

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    He lookes like a friendly little guy! I'm excited for you and hope this is the little friend for your doe. Keep us updated! :greengrin:

7. Busy Bee

Busy Bee New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    He is way too cute!!! Hope you have lots of fun with him.

8. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Well, lice or mites really. Because with bad weather and having to keep them penned up they can get mites. But lice is a big problem too. I hate those nasty little parasites! :wallbang: :hammer: :sick:

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

What do u do to cure mites?

10. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Cydectin works well for me. It is a GREAT parasite killer. It is for cattle but can be given orally to goats for worms and can also be given externally for lice/mites. :wink:

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    how long do you guys keep new goats in quarintine before allowing them with your other goats? Assuming that they are healthy after said amount of time.