Does this little buck have bottle jaw?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlecBGreen, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jeffe has a this bulge under his chin and I cant tell if its the beginning of bottle jaw or just skin. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be the start of his beard coming in? He was born April 14th so he's closing in on 3 months old. He's been wormed weekly with Molly's herbal worm formula. His cousin Jesus (the brown buckling) is two weeks younger and it looks like he's getting "it" too. :?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for you help
    Alec

p.s. I just want to say hi to everyone! This looks like a great forum!

2. p.s. Neither one looks anemic and they haven't had loose stools.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Have you felt the bump? Does it feel hard or soft like edema?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does look like bottle jaw -did you check their eyelids?

5. its soft and fleshy, not hard.

They're still hard to corral so I havent checked the lids. When I catch them to administer the worming medicine I need both hands to keep from getting a horn in my eye or a hoof in my nether regions. :shocked: Their tongues are nice and pink.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have to check their lower eyelids - tongue color doesnt indicate anemia or not

if you recently aquired them they may have been wormy when you got them - plus I never fully trust herbal wormers. Many use them with great results though

7. OK, ill check. Im on my way out to the farm in a few minutes. They were born on my farm (my first!). Here is a baby pic of Jeffe (get ready for cuteness)

[​IMG]

Jeffe is the one lying down. His sister Lupita is giving you "the look"

I just found my mineral mix has NO copper ( :GAAH: ) which can lead to anemia right? I heard copper deficiency can interfere with iron absorption. I just lost a doe yesterday to a week long battle with anemia/parasites. I wormed her with Valbazen & gave her Red Cell. She was just so weak and now come to find out it might have been the copper deficiency. But thats another story...

8. I have a 50ml bottle of Ivormec Plus. Do you think I should give him a shot to be safe?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give it orally - 1cc per 20lbs or if you give it as an injectable then follow the box instructions which I think is 1cc per 100lbs

As to your minerals - yup copper deficency can lead to a lot of things. I would suggest you find a different mineral. I have used Purina Goat minerals, Top Choice Goat mineral by Southern States and Sweet Lix meat maker mineral. All three are good. See what you can find in your area.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Are they still nursing? It could be a milk goiter.

I would NOT give them a wormer weekly. That causes worms to be resistant to the dewormer and it will not work anymore.

Do a fecal float on them FIRST so you know what you are dealing with. Different dewormers work on different worms.

Another way to check for anemia is the gum's not the tongue.

By the way, They are cute as ever. :love:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Lori I do believe herbals have to be given weekly unlike conventional wormers.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with Stacey....they need wormed...and copper & minerals.. are very important.... :hug:

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Did these babies live with the doe that had died? If so, they are probably wormy. Herbal dewormers work for us but we are in a pretty mild climate, not too hot and humid, so not an ideal place for worm problems.

Herbal dewormers do need to be given weekly but they are not supposed to become resistant. . .

When we used herbal dewormers, we always performed random fecals and used chemical dewormers twice a year, spring and fall. That's just how we did it though.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ts in the wrong spot for a milk goiter, milk goiters are more int he throat area. If they arnt acting off i wouldnt say its bottle jaw. Could it be an abcess? I would take there temp as well as checking to see if they are anemic.
    beth

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it's soft then I would say it's bottle jaw. Milk goiters tend to be more in the throat latch area,

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree ....the location is wrong... :wink:

17. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We saw a doe at the clinic w/ bottle jaw, looked just like that although she was quite larger..

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's definetly NOT a goiter.. a milk goiter is always at the throat latch.. and just feels like fat.

It does look like bottle jaw to me. I would worm with the ivomectin. when i lost a buck kid to it not only his bottom jaw swelled up, but under his eyes as well towards the end.

I would say it could be an infected splinter or bugbite, like my doe had earlier this year, but since both are showing the signs i would worm them with a chemical wormer

19. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Looks like bottle jaw if it is squishy. Give them the ivomec, won't hurt them, then check their eyelids. If it is bottlejaw then they ate severly anemic{give them some vit b complex shots) One way if it's bottle jaw it's usually worse in the afternoon that in the morning. Good luck.

20. thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. Its just so strange to me. It looks like a big speedbump on his chin but the area all around this throat/head is normal. I felt it and its hard to tell if its mostly hair or flesh or what. He doesnt enjoy being held so hes pretty fidgety. Ill give him a shot of Ivomec today and we'll see how he does.

If I give an injection today, what should the turnaround time be to see a change? A week?

I dont have any B12 shots but Ive got red cell. If he is anemic, Ill give him some of that.