Does this look like a copper deficiency?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrockettsLastStand, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CrockettsLastStand

CrockettsLastStand New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    I'm aware that red patches are an indication of copper deficiency, however, I am not familiar with the correct shades of red and this Nubian seems to have a variety of hair colors everywhere, so wanted to ask because he has these reddish areas in several areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's only his second day here, so if I am top dressing with Manna Pro Goat mineral and start offering it free choice, how long does it take for the deficiency to be corrected? I am going to order copper bolus, but won't have finances for it for about 10 days. Will this be ok, or is it too long of a wait?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He'll be fine, he's only 3 months old right? Also, when you do leave the minerals out free choice, theres no need to topdress them, goats know how much they need.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do you have a body pic? That second photos almost looks like a moon spot. The top photo looks like a little bit of a copper deficiency. Just keep the free choice minerals out.

4. CrockettsLastStand

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH

The second photo is from the back of the top of his neck, almost near base of his skull if I recall correctly. Hmm.. gonna have to run outside and go look.. he has a few spots, but this one is only one with the browns/reds

5. CrockettsLastStand

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    Yep, that one is base of his skull. He has a large spot on his back near the end and a smaller almost heart shaped one above it, but those two are more grays, tans, etc and not to appear reddish like the one in the photo.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    that 2nd one is a moonspot... the first may be a copper deficiency??? I agree with Kylee... we'd need a body shot to tell if the shading and coat looks like a defieciency or just sunburn. :)

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say if you have loose mineral, just make sure it is good with Cooper. he is a little young to have to much trouble yet.

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Just keep an eye on him as he gets older. Watch for fish tail. His tail will split and have a bald tip. He is cute. I saw his pics on the other thread. What's his name?

Gina

9. CrockettsLastStand

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    His name's Storm. I suppose if he were to be a registered goat, his full name would be Hollow Tree Hill Storm. I decided to stay with the name he already had when I got him cause he answers and comes to it.

We say come storm and over he comes. Very nice.