The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little worried about my goats lately. I've been trying to get to the vet to get some copper boluses, but we've been too busy this week. I just got all our goats checked (fecals), and they do not have worms at all. they did have cocci. I finished giving them the treatment for that about a week ago, I think.
Most of them still have really pale eyelids and gums. My Nigerian doe, Cinderella, has VERY pale lids still, and today I noticed that her hair is thinning a lot on her nose, and (yikes!) she's got a couple of bald spots on her neck and chest that were NOT there a couple of days ago. I go out and pet her and talk to her for while almost every day, but I did not go out yesterday, so it surprised me that the hair loss was so pronounced today.
And the Alpines have rough coats that seem a little thin to me. The black and white one has very rusty hair on the black parts of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your goats do need something. LOL. I'd give them copper bolus, you can order the goat size from Jeffers. I'd also get a bag of Calf Manna and a bag of BOSS and mix them together and give them a cup of that twice a day. Are you giving them good hay and loose minerals and about 2 cups of good goat grain (l6% protein) a day.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, they have minerals and baking soda free choice, and all the hay they want. We actually just gradually got them off of grain, and are just feeding alfalfa right now. But they looked like this before that. We were trying to avoid grain with GMO corn in it, but now I'm thinking that we should feed it to them anyway, of alfalfa is not enough. We can't afford to get organic grain, though it is sold near here.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw, sorry the black goat is Cinderella, and the other two are the Alpines. I tried to get one of C's eyelid, but it's not very good. She doesn't like me to mess with her eyes, and I was holding the camera with the other hand.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'd say bolus. they all look like they need something. i have a mostly white doe that will be getting bolused, and she'll likely get darker after. my black one is WAY rustier than your cinderella. copper bolus coming our way soon!

either add the BOSS to their feed, or flax or oil to help with the dryness. i do BOSS with mine, but my black doe probably needs more...she's got really dry goat, but again, she's the one who's super rusty.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, nchen! It sort of makes me feel better that yours are having the same prob. , if that makes sense. ;) yes, I will get the copper tomorrow, if I have to walk to the vet! (Just kidding)
I felt bad for them tonight; I gave them all some molasses with other goodies in it (vinegar, honey, salt, soda, cinnamon) , and they GOBBLED it up! I mean, they could not get enough! I suppose it'll help; I'm going to give them some every day for a while, poor babies. I was giving it while I was giving the corid, but I stopped once I was done. I think they seem to want it more now.
I'll see about getting BOSS too.
( I would like your post, but I'm now using TGS app, and I can't :( )

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I've got the boluses! Now I just need to figure out the right amount for each goat.I'm pretty sure I'm just going to give all of them a dose, but I was wondering what y'all think, because the vet was worried about giving them too much. I almost certain they all need it, especially since our water is SO high in sulphur. (which he said causes copper def.)
I think he was mostly comparing them to sheep, because he kept saying how you have to be really careful giving copper to goats, since they are so sensitive to it. (We learned today that they have all of three herds of goats they treat-all meat goats)
I'm pretty sure he went and looked up how much copper to give sheep/ goats, and then told us the amount for sheep, which he said was- well, here I'll just copy what he wrote for me; I don't quite understand it:
Maximum Copper Supplement
Sheep: 25 ppm/day
Ppm=Mg/Kg
I can look up on this forum how much to give goats, but if anybody has a quick answer, that would help.
I intend to weigh it out and mix it with mashed banana or molasses and feed it to them that way.
Sorry to write so much!
I've heard that corrid is a thiamine inhibitor, you may want to pick up some vitamin B complex
We have some, but I'm not quite ready to give shots, and my dad really hates too; do you think that's absolutely necessary? Or can I just give the copper and then continue to give molasses every day?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I read bolus is 1 gram per 22 lbs. most adult goat boluses are 4g, so for 88lb goat. sheep are super sensitive to copper, and can get enough of it from forage. and, i read on another post that they bolus their sheep, and they're fine.

i'm not sure about the thiamine.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got finished reading the whole thread "vet said copper wasn't good"- very good reading, but scared me a little. I don't want to kill my goats! Can I still give the copper rods in a banana? And I was going to give molasses for a while, because they are anemic, some more than others, but I read that iron binds copper, preventing it from absorbing, and I know molasses has tons of iron, so should I stop giving it?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i plan to open the capsules and put them in mashed banana, and squirt down their throat. i don't have a bolus gun. I've seen on another website they put it in cookies that their goats inhale. whatever you do you have to make sure they dont' chew them.

if you're really scared of od-ing your goats, then you can always give a smaller dose and see if it works. i know mine are really deficient, so i'm giving full dose. see how rusty my girl is? i'm curious to see what my black goat will look like when she's actually black! lol

oh, and if it makes you feel better, Tennesee Meat Goats say you can give up to 1200 ppm of copper to goats. the higher range for copper def areas. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/copperdeficiency.html

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, nchen! I think I'll give a little less than a full dose, it'll make me fell better.Your goat is soo cute! :love::eek: What's her name? She's adorable! I think you said part Togg? One of French Alpines is 1/8 Togg-our best milker, so cute. I'll post pic for you to see. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Thanks Sarah! I have no clue what she is. lol. someone said alpine/Nubian mix. i have another one that looks more togg/Nubian mix.

and her name is Buttercup. :)

i'd love to see pics of your goats. i stalk this forum a lot for info, but really...it's for pictures! lol

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I think your vet is incorrect. I think that he is definitely thinking of sheep. ALthough not too long ago most people thought goats were sensitive to copper too. Goats need copper. I would do the bolus and I just put it in a marshmallow. I have read conflicting threads as to the whether it is bad that the goats 'chew' the rods. Check Goathikers threads I think he was the one who told me about the marshmallow. My very red goat darkened up within 8 weeks of being bolused and I gave her a shot of multimin-which is like a copper shot.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You're goats need to some more food, too. I'd get them back on the grain to get a few more pounds on them. Copper, some grain along with their alfalfa, maybe a little bit of beet pulp, too. The first one doesn't look bad, but the more tan ones that have shaggy coats could use a few more pounds :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
is that for me??
Your goat you showed on here doesn't look half bad. Dairy goats always look a little bony. I like them to have a few extra pounds, but still dairy looking. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Marking this thread so I can read the updates, I just ordered some copper bolus' for my goats. My black does have the rusty tint to them. They have had their BoSe shot this year, I have heard that can help with their coloring as well. Does anyone know if that's true?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I know she's skinny!! I've been trying to put weight on her, but to no avail!! one good thing is she's not overly bony. in person you can barely see ribs or spine. and when you run your hands on her, you can feel a layer of muscle over those bones.

right now she's getting a little over 2lbs of oats and alfalfa per day, top dressed with BOSS and split peas. i'm thinking of adding some coconut to her diet to get some fat in her. goats can eat coconut, can they? should I give her more oats?

NDlover, sorry for hijacking your thread!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts