The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m concerned my goats are copper deficient, but I’m afraid to bolus because I don’t want to cause copper toxicity. I’m really worried about one goat in particular who is having a lot of joint issues that seemed to pop up overnight.

Based of these pictures of two of my goats, do you think they are copper deficient? The white one is the one I am most worried about.

The two biggest things I’ve noticed in both of them is the orange tint to the dark hair and the “curly” look to the hair near their face.

Attachments

·
TKC Farms
2,377 Posts
agree

Reactions: HaleyD

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you offer for minerals now? It would be very unusual to cause copper toxicity-try not to worry. They do appear to need additional copper as well as selenium.
I have fed the Manna Pro goat mineral in the past, but they now share a pasture with my horse so they all get the same trace mineral block designed for horses. Unfortunately with my setup I am not able to put goat mineral out where it would be safely out of reach from the horse.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies everyone! After doing more research I’m more confident that they are copper deficient.

One more question though, how long will it take to see changes in them after the copper bolus?

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
You can use a 5 gallon bucket with lid, cut a small opening on the side , a few inches up from the opening. Large enough for a goat mouth and tongue, but not big enough for a whole goat head or horse muzzle. Fill the bottom with loose goat minerals.

Or cut a small opening in a wall or fence,.similar idea, dish that goats can reach (way down low or too small for horses)

I would consider Replamin Plus or Multimin90 so they get all the minerals they are missing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can you make a creep feeder type area where the goats can get in and the horses cant? We have one gate with a bar across it about waist high, the sheep and goats can get in the horses cant. Then they have access to their minerals. It is rare to cause copper toxisity with boluses because they are slow release, a slow amount it realased all the time instead of all at once.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So... I might have the same with copper deficient, how do you copper boules? and Where do you get such?
Copasure that we ordered from Jeffers online. We use a bolus gun which is a cheap plastic utensil we also bought online and another we bought from a farm store. We have also given them bolus in obscure ways, like hiding them in a peanut shell and taking the peanut out. Whatever works, the copper is very much needed for our goats!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts