The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the "bred" boers I purchased this winter has a due date of the 7th. While her half-sisters (who already delivered twins) had bagged up with milk a month prior to delivery, this gal still has none. She is a nice-sized goat, but definitely doesn't look pregnant the way her sisters did. I don't think we're having babies this weekend. :(

The breeder's note to me said that this gal "reseasoned" and thus had the later due date. I gather from this that she came into heat again, and so was rebred.

What would you experts say? I know that I can just try again, but I'm wondering if this looks bad for the future...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, I'm no expert so I don't know if I'll be any help, but I know some does just don't show very much, and some also don't start bagging up till right before they kid. :shrug: Maybe that's the case here?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that would be just wonderful, as she is our darling and favorite, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The two that already kidded were her half-sisters, so I'm guessing she would have some similarity in the way of bagging up. But ... I hope you're right!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
One other possibility is that she isn't infertile, but just didn't like the buck, or vice versa. Sometimes they just won't breed if they takes dislike to one on amother. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Rarely ever is there a doe that is infertile. Now if she still doesn't kid well past her due date, then I would suspect cystic ovaries. Cystic ovaries do not allow eggs to drop during estrus, and thus no eggs can be fertilized. They can still have a heat cycle with cystic ovaries, but she may not have dropped any eggs. Have you noticed her in heat since you've had her?
If you haven't seen a heat cycle she could be bred, some does do not show at all when they are bred, some does bag up a month before they kid, some bag up the day they kid. Every doe is different.

·
1,524 Posts
She might have settled but lost the kid during transport. Some short bred does will abort do to the stress of shipping.

I wouldn't judge her bagging up by her 1/2 sisters! I have had twins be 100% different from each other. A lot of my does vary in their developement from year to year also. They love to keep you guessing.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
^^^agreed, or she might have been hit not that long after being bred, the chance of you seeing any signs early in her preg. is very low, do you have a buck? Another thing is she and another goat might have come into heat at the same time but the buck liked the other on better so she kinda missed out. I wouldnt give up on her not being able to breed just yet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, we don't have a buck. And I'm thinking the breeder must have known when things took place, since she gave me a due date. We'll just wait and see how things go ... maybe she'll surprise us tomorrow with an udder and a baby. :)

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
take a few pix of her...a back end view to show her girly parts and udder and tummy view so we cansee if her tummy has dropped...all pix from behind : )
post them here and we can take a look...give our best guess

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
I never trust anyone's due dates unless they are someone who is meticulous about keeping written records. I wouldn't trust the due date. You can draw blood or have it drawn by a vet and send it in to BioTracking. Then you can have the pregnancy test done.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Yes Biotracking give a close gestation time line..so if she is 45 days bred...the test will say so...also a due date (even when I get a breeding visual) is an estimate..not a promise...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Rarely ever is there a doe that is infertile.
Well, I guess I was just unlucky. I bought 43 does from a guy in Nebraska and ended up selling about half of them because they never settled, not even after running with a buck for a full year. Not going to argue with you about it, but I think you're dreaming. Every species has infertile females, goats are no different.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I doubt that it was because they were truly infertile. Cystic ovaries, past uterine infections, excessive scar tissue on the ovaries, uterus, or uterine horns, and diseases can cause a doe to never settle. Nutrition is also a big factor, if they are deficient in vitamins or minerals they may not settle. They could have also been conceiving, and absorbing the embryos in early pregnancy. Some does will conceive, and absorb their kids in early pregnancy because of stress, unsuitable living conditions, poor health, improper nutrition, mother nature's way of throwing out what wasn't forming properly, etc. Their hormones can cause them to never settle as well.
In the hundreds of goats I've had throughout the years, I have never had an infertile doe or buck. I have never had a fertility issue with my horses, pigs or dogs either. There is always a reason for an animal not settling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts