The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this doe I bought in July. The owner said that her mom had to have a c-section to have the baby:eek: does this usually pass down to the kids? I want to breed her this winter but I'm scared I'll have to have a c-section on her or something:confused:

· Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
Depends on why she had a c-section. If it was due to her birth canal being too narrow, yes that could be passed on. If it was due to the kid being too large, incorrectly positioned or deformed, no that isn't necessarily passed on although I would be careful to not overfeed her and breed her to a buck that is good at having smaller kids rather than one that might throw larger kids.

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Whether is is heritable is going to depend on the circumstances. If she was bred too young or to a buck who throws bigger kids than she can handle, then that would be the breeders mistake and is not heritable. If, on the other hand, she is narrow hipped or has a small pelvic circumference, then that would be heritable.

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts
Agreed. If the doe had a c-section because of her conformation, narrow birth canal, etc. then yes, her kids could have issues kidding as well. But if she had a c-section because of a huge kid, tangled kids, etc. then her kids wouldn't also have that happen. If they did, it would likely just be a coincidence.

· Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
A doe that is narrower in the hips/pelvis would be more likely to have a narrower birth canal, just due to not having as much room to expand. The biggest problem is typically getting the kids past the pelvis as that can only dilate/expand so much.

If you are concerned about your doe, you could try posting some pictures of her. Particularly pictures of her from above and behind showing her hips.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, actually I will do that:) she's still a little young but she should be old enough by January. She's pretty petite so you guys will have to judge if I can breed her or not too:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.