Does this seem right to you?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jun 10, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Guy emails and wants both my boer wethers for sale, Red and Pride, plus my saanen doe Anna. Doesnt ask for pictures or more info just yes we will take them, happy to pay the $700. Then he rings just now and asks how many lambs I have on the bottle, says he will take all 6 of them. And can they please be delivered to Sydney. All of this coming to about $1250.

It doesnt feel right to me ... I dont know whether they are planning to eat them all or what. Or whether they just want lots of pets and have plenty of money :? He says they have a boer stud both him and his son but why then do they want the saanen and the lambs?

Your thoughts on this anyone? And how would I approach this to find out a bit more? Test the waters so to speak

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would be honest with him and call and ask what his use is with the animals. if he gets all flustered by you asking then he might not be someone you want to work with. If he is an honest person he wont mind telling you. I certainly wouldnt mind someone calling me asking why I wanted the goats or whatever I was buying. And I dont batt an eye about asking others why they are purchasing from me. It is actually one of the questions they must fill out if they want to be put on my waiting list.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If it doesn't feel right to you it probably isn't! No worries, it will become evident to you in your next conversation. Or two.
    Usually when people want animals they are the ones who come pick them up. At least here in the states.
    How far away are you from Sydney?

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    about 6.5 hours ... I deliver quite a few of my animals at the buyers expense, I put it in my ads. Lot of them are people who dont have their own trailer etc.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that does sound a little strange.... :scratch:

when I want to buy an animal...for breeding purposes... I always ask for pics..........It's usually the people ...that are going to eat them.... that don't care what they look like.... :hug:

I would straight out ...........ask what he is going to do with them....as Stacey said.... :wink:

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well, you could always ask, "So are you starting up your own ranch?" to break the ice. Sounds like he is collecting up some livestock to breed for meat/skins.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My mum had a good suggestion and perspective ... she said no one in their right mind would pay so much for freezer meat ... which is true. She also suggested how to word things. To ask him if he could tell me a bit about his farm and animals ... so I am sure they are going to a good home. To let him know I have had other people interested who are closer to home (2 hrs) but I would consider coming all the way to Sydney if I knew they would have a really good home and be looked after well. And that I've had bad experiences with scammers and also people who took my breeding stock and neglected and/or ate them, which is why I'm particular about who they go to.

Am I just being paranoid? Does it really matter what they do with them? Should I just be thankful they are willing to pay top dollar and take them all (heaven knows I need the money)?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope, not paranoid at all Keren, it's called being a responsible owner/breeder. If you are not comfortable with how they will be utilized and your gut tells you so then I think I would be asking questions as well.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I definately wouldn't deliver them without some more info. from the buyer. Google the email addy, phone number, and home address where you're supposed to deliver, might come up with something. I wonder if they're just wanting to play a joke on ya or something, if you drive 6 hours to find that the people don't even live there, etc. Sounds VERY fishy to me. There is NO WAY someone would just say yeah, we'll take everything, without more info., pictures, coming to look, etc. I would call back and see if you can have a list of questions...if he's not being honest you should be able to tell. And I agree, that is some big money for butcher animals. You would be a very responsible breeder asking this guy a few questions before selling. Keep us posted.

10. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Tell him you would be glad to deliver the goats once his certified cashiers check for the goats and your travel expenses are in your bank account and you have an adress for a reputable stock yard that will sign for delivery. And even then verify the delivery info.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Your mum has great advice!
    One of our first callers was from a local shop. He said he would take all available. Now he didnt know if I had 3 or 300 to sell & I wasnt going to say.
    After a couple of phone calls saying he had to talk to his cousin about pricing I decided to just not return his calls.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No ...I don't think you are being paranoid keren............you have been through alot this year... as we know... and the thought of death of an animal ....weighs so heavy on you ...right now.... :hug: :(

As for any buyers .....you never know....some may even lie straight to our faces ...and say that they are giving them a good home.....but yet ...take them directly to slaughter.....that's just it ....you never know... :( I know how hard times are right now ....and if you need the money ...I personally..... would have to do it.......especially if... they are going to pay you top dollar......I would tell them cash only though......at delivery......
    I pray ....that is works out for you..... :pray:

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I would insist on half down first, plus the full transport fee before you drive out there.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Jason...I was going to say that.. :wink: ..keren will have to make sure that...the check or money order ... clears... before....she takes the trip...... :wink: :thumbup:

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Another reason they might want them is to clear a large plot of land. If that is the case, maybe it might be worth it to just lease them?

16. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Remember that in the US the bank will accept a cashier's check and show the money added to the owner's account and it can be two or three weeks later before the "certified check" is found to be bogus and the money taken out of the account, even leaving the seller with a negative balance.

I think Keren's mom had the best advice; do some fishing. Some people can buy animals and give them a good home without much trouble whereas some of us get involved with more details up front.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, I still dont know exactly what is going on but I think I've sort of come to an end.

I emailed him and among other things told him my payment policy, which was that he would need to pay the $150 for delivery and 10% of total cost prior to me travelling as a deposit, with the balance of $990 to be paid in cash on arrival. And that I couldnt deliver until after the 23rd June.

Basically I thought if this person was genuine, they would be happy enough to go through all that to get their animals.

But I just got an email saying the lambs are way too expensive. And nothing else.

(And yet, he'd said he would take them when I told him the price earlier :roll: )

I'm not gonna reply. If he thinks I'm going to haggle with him over those lambs I'm not. I've already taken a discount off them. People dont realise the time, effort and money that goes into bottle babies.

I guess the difference is lotta farmers sell bottle babies for $20 ... but they just go and pick up lambs out of the paddock and they are weak, some havent had colostrum, and they have never been trained to the bottle.

In contrast I sell my bottle babies for $80 for a female and $50 for a male (intact or neutered). But with that, you get babies that are very very healthy and well established on the bottle, and you get a 'Lamb Care Package' which I make up in a bucket and includes: bottle, teat, milk powder, collar and lead, hay, pellets, lamb care information sheet, vaccinations and wormings, either done or drawn up and ready to be given when the lamb is old enough, plus the lamb has been tagged with its NLIS number and name (either the one I've given it, or their choice of name), and had its tail docked as well as been neutered if they wish.

I figure thats a pretty good deal.

But I've gone off on a tangent. Main point is that I dont think this deal will follow through.

And Pam ... thank you ... for understanding, you are completely right about absolutely everything you said.

18. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yea. I wouldn't reply either. Been there done that. :roll:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome keren :hug: I am so very sorry ...it fell though with that guy.... :( .but hey....look at it this way..... your instinct was true and accurate..... there was something... that didn't ring true with him and you sensed it... :wink: things happen for a reason............ :wink: :hug: