Does this sound sketchy to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by badnewsboers, Feb 11, 2009.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    There have been a lot of ads for Fainter kids lately on Craigslist. I always looks at the ads even though I would not get one. Anyways there is a buck kid for sale. They are asking $250 for him. Don't mention if he's registered or not. What got me though is they said he'd be ready to go at 6 weeks.

Do you guys ever let a goat go that young? Typically our kids stay on mom around 2-3 months even though we do creep feed.

Also what is the oldest you can disbud? The goat is ten days old now and they're still offering to "dehorn" him. I have Boers so I'm not very knowledgeable on that subject since I'd never want a hornless goat.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That sounds perfectly normal. I have let a couple of mine go at 6 weeks as long as they were eating and doing well.

I disbud at 7-14 days depending on the bud growth...

I know - it is way different then boers :wink:

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Ok, I just wasn't sure if practices were different in other breeds.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The youngest I've sold a kid is 7 weeks and that wasn't planned by me. . . . I like them to go no sooner than 8 weeks, but we're all different. :)

We take babies for disbudding around 2-3 weeks. Sounds like a long time to wait but the buds are not really that big and the person who does the disbudding prefers doing them at that age. Sometimes their heads are just too little and buds too close to the eyes, so she likes to wait a bit longer than others would.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Capriola I didnt know that the smaller breeds were disbudded a little later, thanks for sharing! I used to read of folks disbudding a whole lot later than what I thought was normal time frame, See you just educated moi!

But I do wish people would get their words right when advertising. Disbudding & dehorning are two different things. See I wouldnt even bother inquiring if they dont have the correct terms to begin with.

I've heard that Boers are a tough one when it comes to disbudding because of the wide horn base?

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Heh, I wouldn't even inquire because of the price. No way I'd pay that much for an unregistered buck kid. I was bothered by the use of dehorn though too.

I'd imagine Boers would be a pain to disbud. I think thats why I've see a lot of market wethers with scurs. Interestingly enough I read an article that said banding was successful because of the wide horn base. :shrug:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes I disbud at 2 weeks + or- so 10 days is still with in that time frame.

as to the 6 week mark, NEVER again! I purchased a 6 week old kid TWICE and regreted it both times. Goat kids will not leave this farm till they are 10-12 weeks old. If they are bottle babies they can leave sooner.

8. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I disbud usually 7-10 days depending on the kid, some can go longer. As for weaning I'd never wean a kid at 6 weeks old, I don't care how good he's eating. The earliest I'd wean is 8 weeks, and that is usually only bucklings that believe they are alittle to mature. For sale kids I usually let them go between 10-12 weeks, for keepers it's more like 3-4 months.

I did have a doe die when her kids were 7 weeks, but I'd been supplimenting them w/ a bottle, so they weren't completely weaned, I considered uping the bottles, or the amount, but desided they were doing well enough they didn't need it and continued to give them one bottle a day.

I guess some do wean earlier (to early if you ask me) so this isn't unheard of, but I wouldn't.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The youngest i've ever let one go is 8 weeks and I still don't do that unless there is certain circumstances. I like to keep them on for about 14 weeks, but it depends. NEVER under 8 weeks though. But everyone has different practices and such and that's ok.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    With our Nubians...all kids are bottle raised. So we let them go as soon as 4 weeks(that way they are disbudded..tattoed ect.). I have picked kids up as early as 2 weeks before, though. Bottle babies of course. :wink: