The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called my vet to see about having my herd tested CAE, CL, JOHNES disease yesterday and I finally got a call back a few mins ago about the cost. She said it will be between $125-$150 for each goat plus the overnight shipping cost. It just seems like alot. I've never had any of my goats tested but now I know that I should and its something that i would like to do but I wasn't expecting that price! Is that really what it cost or are they full of CRAP??

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That is a lot... Too much.. Go through WADDL. For out of state residents, I want to say it is like $22 per goat for all three.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
YIKS..that is not right....if you can pull your own blood, which is not as hard as we fear...send it in to waddl...it is much cheaper..one vile of blood per goat is all that is needed for all test!...
here is a link for you...you can check all prices..I know Biotracking only charges $4 for CAE and $5 for pregancy test...$100+ per goats is outragious!!
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/

·
Registered
979 Posts
That sounds high...vets charge about $80-100...so it's not too high, but you CAN draw the blookd yourself and send it to WADDL...we did it and had never done it before and it went pretty well...It took 2 holders per goat and one person to draw blood.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 20 does 3 bucks and 20 kids/ jr doelings. There is absolutely no way I can afford to have a vet do it! I guess I need to start looking into how to draw the blood myself then get the courage up to do it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this YouTube video on how how to draw blood. Is it really as easy as it looks? I just need a little info.... What gauge needle is best to use and where do I get the little tube things to put he blood in?

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
You can look up everything you will need at Jeffers or any other supply store that sells similar stuff. YOU CAN DO THIS :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
They are called red tops or serum separator tubes , usually 5mls is good enough , but you should check on that. If you got the bigger tubes it shouldnt be a problem. You can check with WADDL , their website is pretty clear on what is needed to send samples in :) Then you can make a list of what items you will need.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Good luck :)
I will be testing at least one goat here soon, luckily my mom is a nurse, so she can draw the blood for me ;)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If you find you can't do it... Check on Craigslist for someone who can help, that's what I did. She doesn't charge to actually draw blood, just for supplies, and her gas really. I think I paid $60.00 to get all mine tested, and that was 10 animals. I may attempt do it on my own next time.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just want to note that with goats under 6-8 months old that the tests are unreliable because they're carrying antibodies from the parents. So you may have a few less goats to test if you keep that in mind.
That sounds even better!! :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know a place that sell the serum tubes in like a 50 count? I checked at jeffers and was unable to find ANY. I found some on a medical site but they only sell a minimum of 1000

1 - 20 of 39 Posts