does together or seperate for births?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    hello!
    i'm about to buy some angora does and i was wondering if i should leave them all together for births or if i should put them in seperate stalls...
    i have years of experience with dairy goats but i'm gonna be learning as i go with the angoras. with the dairy goats i seperate them for birth (if i catch them before they drop) and babies and momma stay in a stall for four days together. then on day five momma goes to pasture with the other milkers and the babies stay in the kidding barn. the kids get bottle/pan fed.
    with angoras do you just leave them all in the same barn for births?
    i'll be getting at least two does (hoping for four *fingers crossed*).
    thanks!!!

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Well....I dont see why they would be any different...if they all get along and all. We kept our first nigerians together and we were there for all (except one's) births. Then we kinda sectioned off a part of the area for the mommas and babies to bond for a couple days (or less depending on which doe was kidding next!). I think its kind of your preference really. :)

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I like to leave 2 does together, that way they have a buddy, as long as they can both have a corner, they should be fine.

But alot of people keep does alone, and ive seen people who just leave them in the pasture

4. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I leave mine all in the same pen and they are fine.

5. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I've always keeped all my does in the same pen, keeps them walking around with the other does. :thumb:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alot of my Does are kept together ....some are not(the bullies) ..................how ever... if I know ....a Doe is showing signs of kidding.... I put her into her own kidding Stall.... let her have her babies....and ... for at least 3 days have that bonding time......longer if ....the kids are weak or momma isn't well..... so.... it is kinda using your best judgment... in certain circumstances ......... I myself...do believe... in bonding time....just momma and babies... :wink: :thumb: