The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the goat spot and relatively new to goats in general... (although I've loved them for a long time!) I don't own a goat at this point, but I hope to get one in the next few years. In the mean time I want to learn as much as I can about them!

Could anyone share any insight to how raising a doe compares with raising a wether? I'm not interested in breeding it, just keeping it as a pet. Any info you can give helps!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Wethers make the best pets, because you don't have to deal with a heat cycle as you would a doe, and if you are not interested breeding, they would be ideal... I have both and I adore my wethers.. I bottle raised them, so we are very bonded:)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For 'pet only'... hands down, IMO, bottle wether. Or wether who was dam raised but with a VERY hands on owner (my dam raised wethers make wonderful pets, if I do say so myself, though most of them are actually bred to go to freezer camp).

My does would make wonderful pets as well, they are super sweet and friendly, and there is nothing wrong with does as pets though they can get loud and pushy when they are in heat. But there are just fewer homes out there for the wethers, and does have multiple motivations in life... food, social status, reproduction.... most wethers just want food and cuddles. They are generally (but not always) less complicated. Plus, here at least, any wether that doesn't go into a pet home goes into the freezer. And while I count on that to keep us in meat each year I also would like to see at least a few of my kids end up being spoiled rotten pets.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i think it's a personal preference but i like does. we have 3 bottle baby does from last year and you couldnt ask for better pets. we do breed them but sell the kids it helps defreay the cost of keeping them.we had a wether too but he was very destructive, he was ok as a pet, but i'm not wasting resourses on something that doesnt pay their way. that being said. i think bottle babies of either sex make great pets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was originally leaning towards a doe just because I've always had female pets but it sounds like a wether might be a better fit!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Make sure you get at least two :) They are herd animals and need at least one buddy.
But, I agree, a couple wethers would be best. I have a dam raised wether who ALWAYS wants to be in your lap, I have been handling him since before he hit the ground (had to pull him) so he is almost overly social :laugh:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've only ever had does/doelings. I just spent 45 minutes scratching/petting/cuddling them. If I stopped, Tulip would gently paw my leg, and Ruby would rub her head on me. The two of them kept standing on my shovel when I was cleaning the goat shed out earlier, because they wanted to get my attention. The doe kept standing between me and the pile I was trying to shovel.

We got ours for milking, so girls were a necessity. We started with the doelings, and are buying the milker because we wanted milk sooner than the girls would be in milk (if we breed them this fall, the earliest they would be kidding is April).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome! We are glad to have you here :) I have learned many things here and I am sure you will do the same!! If you are just wanting a pet then wethers are always the best for that, but you should probably get 2 because they are very social animals and if you only have one then they will cry and cry and cry. Does are nice pets, but are more high maintenance since they go into heat and their crying will drive you nutso lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't keep goats where I live unfortunately so I've been looking into places in my area that I could board. I've found several stables that might work really well, and my friend has a goat that is already kept at one of them. If I got only one wether, do you think that the current goat would be enough of a companion?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Here are my two cents. :)

Wethers tend to be more laid back then does, and less moody. They don't get "that time of month" and aren't plagued by the hormones that the bucks are full of. You do need to be careful with their diet. Wethers should have a very simple diet. Just grass hay with alfalfa pellets, or alfalfa mixed hay is ideal for them. Mine never touch grain, as I have seen far too many kidney stones caused by it. As such, when it comes to all my boys, I'm a bit paranoid about making sure everyone's peeing well.

Does are my personal favorites. Though my does are very friendly, they do pick their "special somebodies" and I like that bond with them. They seem to be more clever than the boys in some ways, and have good problem solving skills (depending also on the breed). There is less stress about "How is everyone peeing??" It does get somewhat annoying when they are in heat, as they will knock each other around, and either be SUPER IN YOUR FACE or stand-offish for no good reason. :laugh:

In short, I love both. If you have a pick, go with a pair that suits you, and don't worry too much about the gender (as long as the boy is neutered, haha!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts