The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve got 2 does in milk and a pregnant doe due May 3 that are having clumpy pop. Formed berrys but coming out in big clumps. Pictures attached. The pregnant doe is new to our farm and the two does in milk have been getting more grain than normal so I thought at first it was a diet change, but it has been going on pretty consistently for three weeks. My second thought was worms, but the two does in milk have been wormed with ivermectin (didn’t change FAMACHA) and Valbenzen in the past month and the pregnant doe was on an herbal dewormer and has a pretty good famacha.

So what do I do? Any ideas what could be causing this? I could get a fecal done but the vet charges 45$, so of I can avoid that that’d be nice!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Most likely diet related. Mine do this from time to time especially when there is new forage like this time of year. Sometimes their rumen gets a bit out of whack from something new in their diet, sometimes it is more external environmental related (management practices, overgrazing, parasites, stress, etc.), or sometimes after a good deworming they can do this as their body deals with the treatment. Only way to know for sure is to get a fecal done. I would research online. There are a number of places you can send in samples to that charge much less. I would recommend giving them some probiotics and monitor them. Keep a close eye out that it does not become runny diarrhea. Also, be careful when bringing in new animals to you herd. Always keep them quarantined for several days just to make sure they aren't carrying any disease or something that could affect your other goats.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Meadowmistlabs do fecals for $6 a test and email you results giving counts. They are pretty good.
Probiotics should help with the poop grenades. All the fresh green popping up everywhere seems to cause poop issues .

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Spring grass often causes lumpy poops. I limit my goats at first on the new grass for just a few hours a day.. since these are new goats, definitely get a fecal done to make sure you don't have issues. Better to catch anything early than deal with a big problem later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts