The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does that are due on the 23ish I August. Both are eating well. Both appear healthy. However they are not drinking. I watched them drink yesterday but the water level has not changed and both look hollow. Then again these are my first purebred dairy animals

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, my goats don't drink much in the first place. If they are hollow it could mean they aren't getting enough feed or they are high producing dairy does.

Try pulling some skin up, does it snap into place?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You can add some gatorade or some molasses. You could also do a search on here for a homemade electrolyte recipe and try that. You could also buy electrolytes and try that in the water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skin snaps back right way. For some reason both my girls don't like molasses. I will try the Gatorade thing

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, then they aren't dehydrated. Honestly, if you weren't watching them for every minute of the day, I wouldn't be too sure that they didn't drink.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
If its just salt a guess a block would be ok. But watch em and make sure they are grinding their teeth down trying to get enough off the block. Loose mineral mixes have salt and are always best. But seem logical to put some salt by their water. Is the water/trough clean? Most goats would rather not drink from a source that has goat berries in it. OR maybe someone was standing to close and peed into it. So clean that and taste the water outta the tap to make sure its not nasty.

Another factor is weather. On mild days, goats will hardly touch water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have a mineral block and a salt block that they both use. We just bought them a new trough cause the other one was too dirty for there liking. The billy will use it just not the girls. Thankfully I was being paranoid and once the bugs went away and the wing picked up a bit they were both drinking. Thanks for all the pointers

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Try some raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in their water. I have found that my goats drink a lot more water if it has the acv in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts