The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I increase appetites? We are feeding the same amount of food, got some REALLY good alfalfa. But they are slowing down on grain and not very interested in the hay. What can I do?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Are they okay otherwise? Are they in heat? I've only had goats for a year and a half, and I've never ran into that, except when some girls were in heat, lasted a couple days or when they are not feeling well, oh and when I changed the feed rapidly, which I'll never do that again unless I can't help it. Perhaps someone more experienced will chime in...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 I'm pretty sure us in heat but she should be finishing up. The other I don't think she is. Everyone's fine, running around like nuts, dark pink lids. Drinking tons of water.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How can I increase appetites? We are feeding the same amount of food, got some REALLY good alfalfa. But they are slowing down on grain and not very interested in the hay. What can I do?
Really good alfalfa hay has a higher plane of nutrition, so they eat less of it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We used b12 on show wethers all the time. I gave b12 and probios last night. This am temps are 101 and 102.4 they ate NOTHING! The bucket I use to mix their feed has a mark in it I use to determine how much to give. This morning when I dumped feed from their trough back into the bucket, it filled up to that exact same spot!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you tried to see if they would drink happybleat's drench? You may need to have your vet out to tube them if they don't start eating soon.,,

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Temps is normal

Their rumens are off, give probiotics and fortified vit B complex US for 3 to 4 days, or as long as it takes, to get them back on track. You cannot overdose them, it is safe.
With adult boers, I give 6 to 8cc's fortified vit B complex, depending on, if they aren't eating. And young kids, 1 to 3cc's depending on size and appetite.
If they are really down, it may take a couple of days before they start eating.
Stop all grain.
If you have given them too much grain to start and didn't do it gradually, it will mess up the rumen. Goats will eat too much grain, if you allow them, and will knock their rumens quickly. That may be what happened, if you were pushing grain to begin with, too fast. Or a few Does ate more of the others goats share. If you are feeding all together.

What kind of grain are you feeding them?

Alfalfa is good.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just the two who eat together. They have been eating together since June. Been on th sane feed since June. I've been giving 3 cc bcomplex to each for 3 days now. They've always been given free choice alfalfa. Nothing at all has changed which is why I think it's weird. It's been colder here lately, does cold wether changes do anything to their appetites? They are drinking lots of water, no changes there

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another question for y'all. How/what should I be feeding my wethers? Or should I be feeding them at all? They're on a 7 acre pasture, there's 9 of them. They eat off that all day long

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
How bizarre.

Is the grain OK, does it look or smell moldy at all?
I have in the past gotten a hold of a bad bag of grain.
Or the manufacturer may of changed the way it is mixed, making the goats not like it.

Have you given them any probiotics?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Feed is good. I've given probios. They ate good today, and I left them eating tonight. So I guess we'll see in the morning how well they ate!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking that exact thing. For my show wethers, when they didn't eat I just skipped a feeding and they changed their attitude about not eating real quick! Lol ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Were they not eating the hay or grain? Maybe they just decided they didn't like it all of a sudden?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts