The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has a goat that always acts dramatic when in heat, my yearling Nigerian dwarf has a dramatic heat every month, her voice goes up about two octaves and the volume goes up 10 notches 🤣 she usually scream and hollers every time she sees me , our neighbors goats, any human being, our cat, our dog, my other goats and about everything else that moves, and the whole time she screaming her tail is going about 10 miles per hour , or at least it seems that her tail goes that fast. And she also gets a lot more dominant among my goats, challenging the herd queen, but is always set back in her place. I know this is probably normal but every time she screams it sounds like she’s dying and I’m always like maybe she’s sick or in pain or stuck somewhere if I can’t see her when I look out the window, and every month I think she’s dying because her voice, sounds like a dying moose or something, but 2-3 days later she’s her normal quiet ish goat self. I know I shouldn’t get worried but that scream just doesn’t sounds like” I’m perfectly okay “ voice. I’m sure my neighbors hate me because people from miles around can hear her 😋

What silly or annoying things do your goats do when they’re in heat?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had one who would scream and holler and carry on. The worst part was I was trying to keep my herd size down, so even when she got big enough to breed, her sister was on the breeding roster but not her. I sold her to a kid who was looking for a registered doe for his registered buck. She was much happier and quieter after that ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but seems to be mostly in the winter time. If I even think of looking at her, she starts crying and running away! Her sister is a bit more vocal, but nothing like Nyx.
One of our 3 month old kids screams like crazy every time she sees one of us walking towards the pen. And man, does she have a set of lungs! When she does stop screaming, her tongue always sticks out afterwards and it’s so cute! Her name is Aurora but I nicknamed her “Screamer” 😁
My sister nicknamed my doeling that is super loud screamer as well

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I have a drama queen when in heat!
She stands on the top platform that’s like a balcony and “sings”. I called her Juliet, pining for Romeo. She does not want to come into the milk room to be milked, she does not want to eat, she stands like a hunched penguin the whole time I milk her, and all she wants to do is go and look for a buck.

It does come on handy when you want to hand breed. You know exactly when she is in heat!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a drama queen when in heat!
She stands on the top platform that’s like a balcony and “sings”. I called her Juliet, pining for Romeo. She does not want to come into the milk room to be milked, she does not want to eat, she stands like a hunched penguin the whole time I milk her, and all she wants to do is go and look for a buck.

It does come on handy when you want to hand breed. You know exactly when she is in heat!!
Yes that’s the one good thing ,when you want to breed them ya know exactly when they’re in heat, but I don’t want to breed her till December so she has to wait awhile 😋

·
Registered
791 Posts
Most of mine are pretty good about it. They just hump each other and wag tails. Most of the time I’m not even sure who exactly is in heat. BUT I had one doe that happened to have her first heat the night of when I gave a new vaccine. Middle of the night and screaming bloody murder and I swore she was having a reaction. I almost killed her when I realized she was in heat. The only other bad one I had was my old lamancha that I had to retire. She would scream and bite the gate and rattle it wanting in with the buck. I was SO close to just letting her come out of retirement. I actually have yet to retire and keep another one since her

1 - 15 of 15 Posts