The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard lots of things about does and i was wondering if they're true.

1. When does are in heat they will stay in heat untill you breed them, and they cry all the time during this time.
2. They are just as rambuncious as wethers.
3. They will get udder problems if you don't milk them.
4. They are not good pack goats.
Please tell me if any of these are true.
I'm consider asking my friend if she'll trade my "problem" wether for one of her does that are the same age.

· Registered
537 Posts
4-Hgoats said:

1. When does are in heat they will stay in heat untill you breed them, and they cry all the time during this time.
I'm consider asking my friend if she'll trade my "problem" wether for one of her does that are the same age.
I do not know all the answers.
But here is what I do know.
1. They come in season approximately every 21 days.
Stay in season about 3 days. Some cry during this time.
some don't. Most breeds only come in season in the fall
and up to Feb.
2. I think they would be the same as wethers for rambunciousness.
3. Unless you breed them. They do not need milked. But if you
are getting a older doe. You would not want a udder that hangs
low. It could get in the way over brush.
4. I have heard Does can make good packgoats.
Matter a fact. I seen a 4 year old saanen doe who weighed at least
200 plus lbs. Maybe more. She had a nice udder attachment.
And I know she would make a awesome packer.

Does normally sell for more than a wether. so you may have to
add some cash to the deal for her to consider that trade.
Looking forward to hearing if I answered these Questions
with any common sense from the seasoned packers on this group.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
Does can be good packers. If they have a good udder they can pack and milk at the same time. They are the same as wethers as far as being rambunctious. No more or less.

Size is the only consideration but there are some really big does out there.

Meat goats are year round breeders and can come in heat every 21 days. Dairy breeds only come in in the winter and also come in heat every 21 days.

· Registered
171 Posts
4-Hgoats said:

1. Does do come in heat every 18-21 days for dairy and crosses, they sometimes cry (some have a horrible wail, some have a pretty little bleat, and other just say their normal marr or nothing at all)
2. A doe kid or unbred doeling will be the same, in my experience, one they have kidded they are less bouncy. (although there definately are exceptions - we had one sweet little doe who would play and bounce with the kids when her babies were about three months old or she didn't have any) Dairy goats often turn into placid, quiet and gentle girls when they are about three/four, and meat goats and crosses, depending on the goat, normally do too. It also depends on how they are raised.
3. If you get a lactating doe and don't milk her, she will quite likely get extremely sick, and possibly die or have a ruined udder for life. If you don't breed a doe, or get one who is dried up, they won't need milking normally - top show quality does though are a different matter.
4. They do make good pack goats, as mentioned, and their udders can come in useful if you like milk. A top quality doe has an udder that is far too big to go bush bashing with, so just a good quality or pet quality in the milk department is required for a pack/milker. Otherwise, a doeling or a dried up doe doesn't need milking.
Cazz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.