The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for one more milker and its frustrating. I'm about to just throw in the towel. I ask "Do you test for CAE, CL and Johnes?"

I have sent out what feels like a billion of these questions and not once yet in the past month have I gotten back a yes. I usually get one of these:

"We're a registered dairy so I know we're clean"

"We show goats so I know we're clean"

"My goats look healthy, there is no reason to test"

"Of course my goats are clean!"

Sigh. One registered tested Alpine goat is all I want. Who would think that is too much to ask for?

-thanks for letting me vent. I needed to get that off my chest before I lectured someone about their herd of "Iknowtheirclean" goats.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Aww.. :hug: sorry.. I bet that is frustrating :(

I know a Alpine farm in MAine... I'll PM you :)

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
LOL...I was one of those for along time..." I don't test because of too many false pos. false Neg. results" I held onto that reason until a friend told me the test arent perfect but they are at least something..and it is our responsibility to do our best to end the disease by having the information. A Goats can alway be rested if you are unsure of results.

For many, testing is scary..."What if they are Positive..what do I do..??" "I don't want to know as long as they are healthy".
Might ask if you pay for it would they test the goat you are interested in...more and more are beginning to understand the importance of testing...until then we who do must be willing to go that extra step to help those who dont...:D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I was asking for a while if they'd test them if I paid for it but I haven't done that in the past week or so. The usual answer was "No" or "I've already sold the goats" if they'd even respond at that point. Some people would actually get angry with me.

I figure when the planets align, I'll find a goat that suits us. One could just fall right out of the sky into my lap right? :p

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expect to pay over 250 for an adult registered healthy goat. I'm willing to pay for what I want. I don't want to say money is no issue but if I have to call out the vet to take care of a sick goat....as opposed to paying up front to a breeder for a well goat? There's no choice.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i feel your pain. i'm looking at a alpine doeling that has amazing genetics but isnt registered. the mother has been tested. i think i can get her 75% registered. then her babies can be registered as american alpines. she has asister that is also for sale. if i can get this done are you interested?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah. the lack of registration is a real bug too. Seems like few register so if you find one that is ADGA registered that you get excited until you realize they don't test. I need to figure out how much I care about registration I guess.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
we have driven 6 hours some times....when the getting is good we go get em' lol

You can also ask to meet half way...after tons of pix from all angles...emailed proof of CAE negative test results...and a good phone chat to get that "feel" for things..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the thought Stacey. I don't mind most travel. Right now I have a bunch of responsibilities that make it a little difficult to even take a 2 hour drive some place. That's my own issues though....

I don't know if I could commit to buying a goat without actually seeing/meeting/touching.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sorry if my answer is long winded but thought it may help explain why some breeders do what they do.

I can understand. I only test my herd at this time for CAE as the test for that is pretty accurate. The test for CL and Johnes is not very accurate at all. The only true way to test for CL is to test the pus from a possible spot. Some people may have tried the sheep vax for CL on goats which if they have even a truly neg goat could came back as positive from the titer results etc (they would really need to do a PCR titer for better results in this case). Johnes is not that accurate either, but if they ever get it more accurate I would love to start testing my herd for that as well. I think any good breeder should be willing to let you test at your expense for what ever you like on the goat of your choice. Do know that any goats under 8 months of age may not produce an accurate result in any test unless it is a DNA test. We always wait until kids are 8 months or older before we pull blood for the CAE testing, but if the parents have both been tested then that can provide you with a base results for any kid under 8 months of age.

With that being said I think a lot of breeders fear stigma from false positives that could either be from in proper specimen transport or in proper lab handling. Even some of the best labs can have a slip up when testing or recording result findings. Another thing to check with the state lab in the state of the goat herd you are interested in, as many state labs offer testing for instate residents for free or low cost for herd disease prevention programs. A lot of breeders do not know this. We are lucky in Tennessee and have the state lab within a 2 hour drive of our farm, so we typically pull blood and drive it in to ensure proper transport and the cost of fuel is about the same as over night shipping (but we know how the package was handled).

Oh but to the comments that they have responded to you with as "We show goats we know we are clean" You should be cautious (no offense to those that do show) as with any animals most illnesses and diseases have been passed around at shows. I know an old equine massage client of mine that has a mare worth $50,000 that shows. She took her horse to a show about 4 years ago and did not QT upon her return home and her whole farm got sick.

I guess what I am saying is that if a breeder is not willing to allow you to test at your own expense then I would pass on any goat they have available. I always inform people that my herd has been testing as CAE neg and I always give the client the option to contact my vet to discuss the health status of my herd and farm. I do inform them that we do not test for CL or Johnes due to the inaccuracy of the current testing available. My vet knows how OCD I am about bio-security. I even have a plan to start having any clients that come to the farm for future showing (once we move to the new farm) disinfect their shoes and wash hands before entering the goat area. I know I may offend any clients but you never know where they have came from. Even if their own goats are healthy did they walk through another farm that may have had something in the ground.

I do hope you can find a nice healthy Alpine for your herd.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I don't currently test due to cash flow~(I have been a stay at home mom for 5-6 months now, so one paycheck :()if someone were to offer, heck yeah, I'd test for them! Asap I will be testing my own so I can stop pasteurizing milk...DH has an autoimmune disorder that cae is a problem for....

Good luck Amy....wish I could help you with those alpines...they are in my town :)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
nygoatmom did you know that CAE testing through biotracking is only 4.00 per test and you can send it in the USPS flat rate box for 5.95 - they email results and its fast and accurate. Thats the only way I can afford it too. Im on a one income as well.

I think if you save up a couple dollars a week you could do that :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts