The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living out in the country, there are lots of loose and stray dogs. A very friendly dog started stopping by and we took care of her when she did because she looked in pretty poor shape. Well a week ago she came by and her ear all the way down to her eye was all messed up and infected. We didn't have money for a vet, so I talked to a rescue about taking her so she didn't have to be put to sleep. They offered to pay for her vet care if we could keep her since they were full. It was that or put her down and she's really sweet. So we took her in. We only have one fenced in area and it's with the goats. She's a dalmation/american bull dog mix and very much wants to chase the goats. So far she only has chased them, caught up to them, and then run off to the other, never trying to bite. The goats obviously don't like this, so I have the dog on a run for now. She's not too please with me. She's very smart, but not trained at all. The vet thought she was around a year old. I've taught her to sit, but it's still off and on. I'm trying to teach her leave it. Is there a way I can get her to stop chasing the goats? I can't put in another fence until the new year. I should note I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, so it's been yet another learning experience. Lol. Thanks!

· Registered
225 Posts
Shock collar. Use a long leash where you still have control and shock her when she starts going after them. She should figure out soon that it's not a fun thing to do. :) my trainer and I are working with my pound puppy on that now. :D

· Registered
625 Posts
Its just stop her redirect, wait for her to do it again and repeat. Plus try to get her excercised, walks? It takes alot of repetition and patience and the dog will also just need a few weeks to adjust to the goat sights and sounds, you -and- she-- can do it-- even my chicken killing Giant Schnauzer now free roams with the hens, goats (the new baby buckling is another matter, every one is so curious about his smell) but it took her 6months. Also our buckling's breeder has an American Bulldog penned up with her goats as their LGD.....

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
Dalmations need A LOT of exercise. They are breed to travel miles everyday. There are many fun ways to wind her down. With that breeding she could be taught to skate jour or run beside a bicycle.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I read your tips and I'm trying to be patient. I know a big problem is the enormous amount of energy she has. It really seems like she just wants to play with them. All the horror stories have just made me nervous. She'd have 2 acres to run around in when she calms down around the goats. I have chickens in a big pen too, that probably wouldn't hold up to a determined dog.

I take her on a few walks a day and bring her near the goats to work on the leave it command. She's great about it on the leash, but doesn't bat at eye at me off the leash. I've been using treats and positive re enforcement so far since I'm pretty sure she was abused at some point. She's very nervous around men and cowers. Anyway, we'll keep working on it. She's so smart, I'm sure she'll be a great dog.

Totally unrelated, but out of curiosity, does fur grow back over a chemical burn? The vet said that's what happened to her ear and while the skin is healing, I don't see a bit of fur regrowing. It'll be quite the scar if no fur grows.

· Registered
65 Posts
Totally unrelated, but out of curiosity, does fur grow back over a chemical burn? The vet said that's what happened to her ear and while the skin is healing, I don't see a bit of fur regrowing. It'll be quite the scar if no fur grows.
I had a dog one time that a neighbor poured boiling water over the fence when he was a puppy and it left a scar down his back his whole life. That was just water...

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People are messed up. I can't say for sure how she got a chemical burn, but the location on the side of her face, ear, and a small spot on her back makes me very suspicious. If you want a dog gone, just shoot it, don't torture it. Dang.

· Look for me in the barn...
1,054 Posts
My advice (may not be popular) - no matter how trained she seems to be eventually, don't ever trust her or leave her alone with the goats.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My older son goes out and plays with her, but never having been around dogs much, she's too jumpy for my younger son at the moment. He gets very nervous around her. It is nice when my older son plays with her. I try to tell them that if they don't go and spend time with her, then she's only going to like me. ;) That's how it is with the baby goat. The only one she'll let get near her or pet her is me. I spoil her with treats and loving though, so no surprise.

That's actually how I lean Linz. I would just like to be able to let her run around while I'm out there. Once tax time comes around I can fence in the back 2 acres and let the dog have that whole space.

Here's a pic of her looking cute and one of her ear a week into healing.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.