Dog attack UPDATE

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by leslie0815, Jun 29, 2009.

1. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My little orphaned male was attacked by a stray dog , one of his hind quarters has a large gash, I cleaned it with a wound cleanser that they gave my husband when he had his leg amputated, then I wraped it with gauze and a ace bandgage, I also gave him a shot of of dpt, I put him in a small dog crate with water and some sweet feed he ate real good. What else can I do ? should I get some antibiotics tomorrow ? if so what kind and how much...thanks for your help.....luv you guys

Lil'bit is doing alot better, he is now in my fenced backyard eating and drinking very well. He still is a little shaky walking but he is alot better than he was. I still have him on all the meds and will keep ya'll posted. Thanks again

Leslie

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Dog attack

Keep it clean, and keep him confined at least til the worst of the wound has scabbed, if it is a deep puncture you do not want it to scab over as it will need to drain, keeping an antibacterial ointment on it will help it stay open and allow the inside to heal unwrap it after a few hours and let the air hit it, that will speed the healing as well. Has he had a tetanus shot yet?
    The only antibiotic I have used has been penicilian. Check his temp and keep his fluids up, maybe even add some gatorade to his water to encourage him to drink. If he's alert and has eaten thats a great sign.

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

:hug: Thats scarry.. I agree with Liz.
    he'll be ok!! :hug:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Has he had a tetanus shot yet? If not I'd give him some antitoxin. I'd also start him on Pen G. You don't want to risk infection. Especially with a puncture wound.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Everyone has said what needs to be done, Tet antitoxin, pen G for at least 5 days, you can continue it for a few or more days if needed.
    I had a doe that went for 7 days with a laceration. I also tried to put neosporin on it but she would lick it off.
    He should also get some probiotics. Say you inject him at 8am, at 8pm he should get the probiotics for at least as long as he is on the Pen.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

great advice. :thumb:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

when my little girl tried to hang herself and had extremly bad lacerations - I did exactly what everyone has mentioned - but I also made a diluted iodine solution (looked like tea) and cleaned the area twice a day then applied neosporin. I would let her run for about an hour without the bandage on to air out until it scabbed then I kept the wrap off but still cleaned it and applied ointment.

It may take a while to heal, depending on how bad it is - but as long as he is eating and drinking he should be fine.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

everyone has such great advice.... :thumbup: .....I agree with them all.... :wink: :greengrin:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I had a goat get attacked (I gave the goat to a 4Her and she never really took care of it) anyway, she called and said it was attacked, and died, but later said no it was alive. I went to get him and took him to the Vet and told the vet to just put him down. The whole back thigh was gone. You could put a football in the hole.
    Anyway the vet said no lets look at it. He shaved the area and cleaned it really well. He said that there was new growth and that he would not put him down, he would be fine. Well, I was told NOT to totally confine him, but to put him in a stall so he could move around some, and keep the bedding clean, (straw only). I was to do the tea like solutions but I was also told to add a little dish soap to make it a little soapy. Clean it out (I used a bottle that I could squirt the water in the hole). I was told only to use Scarlet oil on it. He was a White cashmere boy and he sure looked cute with a pink butt.

I gave him to another 4Her and he is so loved and spoiled it is not even funny. I was messing with him at a show not long ago and I can not tel lat all what leg it was. He did great. I did give him I believe Penn for 7 days. Maybe it was something else, I can not remember. It might of been Nexcell.

Just make sure he eats and drinks. Give him electrolyte water and fresh water as a choice of the two. Now is the time to give him LOTS of love and treats, and to spoil him rotten.

10. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia

Hi, thanks forall the advice. I gave him a tetnus shot last night, he is eating and drinking. I cleaned the wound and wrapped it in a ace bandgage. I picked up the pen-g today...I couldn't remember how much to give or how oftern. I went ahead and gave him 1cc before I came to work. Is that ok/...

Thanks Leslie

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

for pen you cant OD them on it so thats always nice :)

The rule of thumb though is 1cc per 20lbs or some even do 1cc per 10lbs

you can give this twice a day or once a day depending on the severity of infection (for your goat I would only do once a day). You also want to continue treatment for a minimum of 5 days. Some go to 7 and even longer to 10 days. Again depends on the severity of the infection.

So all that to say I would reccomend 1cc per 20lbs once a day for 5 days.

12. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia

Thanks Stacy, what about probiotics ??? I have heard yes and no.

Thanks again
    Leslie

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

When giving any type of antibiotic it is best to give some probiotics as the rumen "bacteria" could be upset as well, I do not think the probiotics would interfere with the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would give the Penn 2X day and YES to the Probiotics.

I do not think I would wrap it. Let it get fresh air and it will help it from staying a little damp.