Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    All I can say is thank God I had the baby monitor on. I heard a yell and thought it might be a goat in labor. Ran to the den and heard a fight or dog under the house so I thought a dog had one of the outside cats or even that the outside cats were fighting. Ran and grabbed my boots and went out the door. Flashed the light under the house, nothing. Flashed down to the doe barn and saw a little dog but could hear one in the barn. Ran to the barn and see Dreamer dead and the dog all over my girls. Ran in and grabbed the dog. Dog tried to climb back out over my 5' gate but I wouldn't let it and hubby shot dog. Went back to check goats and find that Dreamer isn't dead! Check her, only see a small bite on her hip and a lot of drool on her neck. She's paralyzed. She's in the house with us right now until we can figure out what to do. She'll have to go to the vet. Faith has drool all over her neck. Dog may have been just playing but I mean business when it gets in my barn.

They're all really shook up. Terrified. I'm so sad. I will probably lose Dreamer now. I sure hope we don't have a lot of misscarriages coming but I know its a real possibility. :(

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    :hug: ashley i am so sorry to hear that. do you know who the owner of the dog is? that has got to be terrifing.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    No I don't know the owner, I've seen this dog loose before. The chiuahua that was with it has been around and about a lot too.

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry Ashley!! :hug: I will keep Dreamer and you in my prayers!

We've had a couple of stray dogs here the past few months, too. We always see them and chase them away...but I know that might not always be the case....and that worries me. A couple months ago a dog that looked like old yeller(had semi prick ears, though) came around and was just smelling all it could. I yelled at it and just looked at me like "What?"...it wanted to come to me but it wasn't sure....I shot it in the leg with our BB Gun. Boy that dog took off like a shot...that scared the you know what out of it. It ran across the road into the neighbors yard and proceded to continue running all the way back to the woods and went around the corner...haven't seen that dog again. Now just a couple of days ago some black dog showed up in our yard...I couldn't tell, but it kind of had head like a pit bull...but it wasn't purebred....it had feathering on it's legs and tail. All Mom did was yell at that one it was gone....we tried to see where it went but that dog must have been running for all he was worth..we couldn't find him. Both times we had Rascle shut in the barn...which was a good thing, because I don't know what he would do...if he'd want to play or if he'd defend the property. Sorry..I kinda rambled on there, but there is a lot of stray dog attacks...and it has me worried.

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh Ashley this is so horrible. My heart goes out to you right now. :grouphug:

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We run off any dogs we see and use the bb gun to scare them too. This one woke us at 6am so there was no warning. We're probably going to have to put Dreamer down. She's not improving and she can't get up out of the laying position.

7. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Ashley, I am so sorry! I hope everyone will be alright. We had a dog get in our fence 3 weeks ago, not the puppy I found but an older Chow dog and let me tell you Deliliah our Great Pyr had her cornered in the pasture and would not let her move. We found the dog at 7:00 on a Sunday morning. I do not know how long the dog had been in there but Deliliah never let her near the goats. The goats were down under the feeding shed. When we removed the dog, Deliliah went over to the goats checked them out and then laid down to sleep. She was exhausted. I really do not know what I would do without her. I am actually thinking about getting another Pyr puppy because she is getting older and would like for her to train it. Please let us know how things are.

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ashley give her some time she may just be in shock. Take her temp and make sure she is warm. I just hate to hear stuff that this happening. People need to keep their dogs on their own land. :angry:

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Luckly all the dogs we've encounntered around here have been friendly and we knew who they belonged to.Last year we had 6 and 3 of them were pups we couldn't keep in.LOrd only knows where they were half of the time.

10. doublesacres

doublesacres New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    CT
    Ashley,
    I am so sorry. We just had two dogs in our yard going from our rabbits to the goat pen. Hubby went outside and they tried to get in our house. He kicked one of them and came in and got our pellet rifle. He shot one of them in the backside and they took off running. Haven't seen them since. if we do next time it won't be a pellet gun.
    My daughters rabbit died because of them. they were chewing on her cage and she had a heart attack.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ashely I'm so sorry to hear that!! I hope Dreamer will be ok :(

If you can get to a health food store, and get the homeopathic remedy Aconitum, or get the Bach Flower Remedy for Stress(I forget what its called) and give that to Dreamer every 2 hours it will help relieve the shock and you can give that to the rest of your girls too for stress.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Oh I'm so sorry- I hope Dremer can come out of it but it sounds so dire...........

Year after year people make the same self-centered decision to let their dogs "run free" whether the dog gets killed on the road or kills someone else's pets. It is beyond me how someone can be so callused that they would rather have these things happen than be inconvenienced by restraining their dogs wanderings. Always an excuse- we don't have proper fencing, she wouldn't hurt anything, they never leave my property, I don't like to clean up poop.............

Grrrrghhhh!

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Ashley :grouphug: . I am so sorry to hear that.

What I would do, is give her Phobias, and NutraDrench. I would offer her any food that she would eat, including warm oatmeal, and molasses. She might be in shock, so keep a close eye on her and her temp. Have you been able to clean the wounds out? I would start her on antibiotics right away. Has she had her CDT?
    I would also just keep talking to her and giving her all the attention you can.

Is it possible to post signs that say "found Dog"? I would do that to find out who the owner is and then charge them for ever vet bill you have or "lets pray not", the loss of you doe.

I am so glad your Husband was able to shot the dog.

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh I'm so sorry! Poor Dreamer I hope she pulls through. I'm glad you were able to get the dog though.

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh Ashley!!!! I can definatly sympathize with you on this one. I have delat with three dog attacks, she may just be in extreme shock, I had this happen to me they can also thrash around. Clean her cuts and give her a day or so. She may just surprise you. Again I am so sorry this happpened! :grouphug: :pray: :cry:

16. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Ashley, very sorry this happened to your doe. Banamine is for shock and that' s your biggest thing right now even before the antibiotics. Your vet can tell you which antibiotics for the dog bite. Alot of goats don't recover from attacks, so it is understandable to put her down.

You can give the other does Vit B for stress and that won't hurt their babies.

17. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Oh Ashley, I"m so sorry and my heart goes out to you. We have a lot of stray dogs around here too. I finally convinced my DH to let us get an LGD - a Great Pyr - to help keep the goats a little safer. We're going to pick her up tomorrow :leap: We've used the same buckshot theory in the past (when we're home and/or awake to see them on the property) but more dogs just seem to be appearing almost weekly. Our neighbors have rabbits & have lost many to stray dogs......... I'll say a prayer for your Dreamer & hope she'll be OK.

mmm

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We took Dreamer to the vet and he confirmed her paralysis, the dog had broken her spine so we chose to humanely euthanize her and put her out of her misery. That was hubby's favorite too. Hubby built me a whole new gate today that no dog can get into, its the concrete building siding on a wood frame and its up 4' and we're putting a cattle panel gate top so its floor to ceiling. No dogs will get in.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know this sounds bad but it could have been a whole lot worse! It's great you were listening to the monitor. I think I just may sleep with the monitor on year round. I am so sorry, two losses in one day. Lots of :grouphug: to you and your family (and the goaties)

20. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    No I whole heartidly agree. I've thought about that too. Thank God for that monitor! Could you imagine the horror if I went down after I woke up and seen what the dog left me? Then I wouldn't have had the dog caught in the act and I would have had a lot more losses. I'm glad that we caught it from the start, but sorry it ever happened. I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again.