The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I woke up to find that my dog attacked three of my goats.. (Working on finding a new home for my dog now..) My new breeding buck has lost the bottom part of his left ear and it is also split half way up, as seen in the picture. My 2 month old buckling that I was going to sell this week, he got his back left leg skinned up pretty bad but it doesn't look like anything is broken. I'm now going to have to keep this guy a little bit longer until he heals up. And lastly, my wether seems to be limping a little bit on his left front leg. I can find any visible wounds, and nothing feels broken. I think/hope he is just a little swore and bruised. I can't afored to take any of them to the vet right now and was wondering how I would treat them myself. I've alreay cleaned all wounds I could find and put 10% povidine-iodine on them. I haven't wrapped anything up, thought they would probably pull it off anyways. Is there anything I could give them for the pain? And is there anything I should do to clean up the ear of the buck? I want it to heal as nice looking as possible. Should I do somthing about the dead looking ends?

Attachments

·
14,615 Posts
Banamine from vet for pain & Penicillan for wounds.
I would flush all wounds with purified water. Put on round of Penicillan at least 5 days.
Make sure there are no puntures these are going to be your ememies.
Flush daily with purified water & weak betadine .
No more iodine.
You can also shoot Penicialln straight into wounds (take off needle)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Banamine from vet for pain & Penicillan for wounds.
I would flush all wounds with purified water. Put on round of Penicillan at least 5 days.
Make sure there are no puntures these are going to be your ememies.
Flush daily with purified water & weak betadine .
No more iodine.
You can also shoot Penicialln straight into wounds (take off needle)
Okay, few more questions. What is Banamine? And could I use some sort of children's pain relief medicine for them? Something I could pick up at walmart maybe.. What is the difference between iodine and betadine? My mom is saying to use the iodine cuz it is pretty much the same thing.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Absolutely check every inch of each of them for puncture wounds and do as Nancy suggested, I would also definately be sure that each one is up to date with their CD/T.....Tetanus as well as infection are common with dog bites, IF you do find even small puncture wounds apply a triple antibiotic salve after cleansing them to prevent scabs from forming, punctures need to heal from the inside out and be able to drain, if a scab forms, the poisons cannot escape.
As far as your bucks ears, clean them well and be sure to keep flies away, once the healing process begins, any "dead" tissue will slough off on it's own as long as you can keep him from getting fly strike. Applying a salve can help.

·
14,615 Posts
Betadine & iodine aren't the same. Iodine is going to fry the tissue. It's ok that you used it initially but no more.
Banamine is a pain reliever from vet.
You can use OTC aspirin but Ive never used it.
The ears will most likely be fine as far as any life threatening infection goes.
If there is blood anywhere else on the body it should be shaved to determine the extent of injury.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Betadine & iodine aren't the same. Iodine is going to fry the tissue. It's ok that you used it initially but no more.
Banamine is a pain reliever from vet.
You can use OTC aspirin but Ive never used it.
The ears will most likely be fine as far as any life threatening infection goes.
If there is blood anywhere else on the body it should be shaved to determine the extent of injury.
Alright I'll go get some betadine then. I don't think we have any right now. I can't find any punctures or any any other cuts on any of them. Other then the ear of the buck and the leg of the buckling, I think they are mostly bruised and a bit freaked out by it all. The leg of the buckling is really swollen now and were he is missing hair, I can see that the skin is very swore and somewhat purple in color. I really don't think anything is broken, he wont walk on that leg though..

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would shave each area in question...get a good look..give a tetanus shot, even if they had CD&T...sometimes the preventive is not enough in a case such as this...rebooster their CD&T 10 days after the tetanus , since they cancel out eachother
Clean the wounds as instructed my Liz and Nancy..these ladies know what they are talking about
Give adult aspirin....not tylanol real aspirin...one each twice a day
use cool pack on swelling, take temps to watch for infection...
They will be stressed!!! Keep electrolytes next to the water dish to encourage them to drink ( recipe to follow)
B complex is Awesome for stress...once daily
Probios to help the rumen during stress..

best wishes..

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Banamine is a pain reliever/fever reducer anti-inflammitory from the vet..its a good thing to have around

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You cant buy real iodine anymore. Freaking meth heads were using it to cook up meth so the government banned it. Not even vets can get it anymore. So the "iodine" now is pretty much safe on anything. But even the use of the good ol iodine in the manner in which it was intended wouldnt hurt flesh wounds. But if uses incorrectly it could burn a bit. Even the weak iodine you can buy today can burn delicate areas such as sinuses. So depending upon where the wound is would determine how much if any it would need to be diluted. Here is a wiki blurb.

And on a side note, that ear is never going to heal as good looking as possible. But if you have the ability, trimming off any dangling flesh will help with infections later.
And I am hoping you inform any buyer of what the dog did and the reason you are getting rid of it. If it were me, Id not chance that dog doing the same to someones cat or other livestock and would send him to dirt camp :)

Toxicity

Elemental iodine (I2) is toxic if taken orally. The lethal dose for an adult human is 30 mg/kg, which is about 2.1-2.4 grams (even if experiments on rats demonstrated that these animals could survive after eating a 14000 mg/kg dose). Excess iodine can be more cytotoxic in the presence of selenium deficiency.[56] Iodine supplementation in selenium-deficient populations is, in theory, problematic, partly for this reason.[38] Its toxicity derives from its oxidizing properties, which make it able to denaturate proteins (including enzymes).
Elemental iodine is also a skin irritant, and direct contact with skin can cause damage, so iodine crystals should be handled with care. Solutions with high elemental iodine concentration such as tincture of iodine and Lugol's solution are capable of causing tissue damage if their use for cleaning and antisepsis is prolonged; similarly, cases have been reported where liquid Povidone-iodine (Betadine) trapped against the skin resulted in chemical burns

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You cant buy real iodine anymore. Freaking meth heads were using it to cook up meth so the government banned it. Not even vets can get it anymore. So the "iodine" now is pretty much safe on anything. But even the use of the good ol iodine in the manner in which it was intended wouldnt hurt flesh wounds. But if uses incorrectly it could burn a bit. Even the weak iodine you can buy today can burn delicate areas such as sinuses. So depending upon where the wound is would determine how much if any it would need to be diluted. Here is a wiki blurb.

And on a side note, that ear is never going to heal as good looking as possible. But if you have the ability, trimming off any dangling flesh will help with infections later.
And I am hoping you inform any buyer of what the dog did and the reason you are getting rid of it. If it were me, Id not chance that dog doing the same to someones cat or other livestock and would send him to dirt camp :)

Toxicity

Elemental iodine (I2) is toxic if taken orally. The lethal dose for an adult human is 30 mg/kg, which is about 2.1-2.4 grams (even if experiments on rats demonstrated that these animals could survive after eating a 14000 mg/kg dose). Excess iodine can be more cytotoxic in the presence of selenium deficiency.[56] Iodine supplementation in selenium-deficient populations is, in theory, problematic, partly for this reason.[38] Its toxicity derives from its oxidizing properties, which make it able to denaturate proteins (including enzymes).
Elemental iodine is also a skin irritant, and direct contact with skin can cause damage, so iodine crystals should be handled with care. Solutions with high elemental iodine concentration such as tincture of iodine and Lugol's solution are capable of causing tissue damage if their use for cleaning and antisepsis is prolonged; similarly, cases have been reported where liquid Povidone-iodine (Betadine) trapped against the skin resulted in chemical burns
Thank you! That iodine lesson was very helpfull. :) I have 10% povidone-iodine Topical Solution, witch seems to be betadine according to that bit of iodine info. I could probably still use it once a day on them if I water it down a little.

As for the dog.. He is currently chained to a tree outside with a bucket of water near by. I was the first to suggest putting him down, but my family said no. So now I'm looking to re-home him. He is fantastic with other dog's. I've only had problems with him and my neighbors unfixed male dog's. other then that he is great. I'm going to make sure that he goes to a home with NO small animals or farm animals.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
For flesh as tough as the ear, I wouldnt even bother to water it down. Not to mention, being a dog bite, its going to need as much help to keep the infection down. Thats all the ear is, is thick flesh. You more or less have to soak flesh for a day before you would start to see any burns.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GET BANAMINE USE ASPIRIN OR CHILDREN'S LIQUID IBUPROFEN AT DOUBLE THE DOSE. EX: CHILD WEIGHS 50 LBS GIVE 1 TEASPOON (5CC) GOAT WEIGHS 50 LBS GIVE 2 TEAS. (10CC). YOUR VET MAY BE ABLE TO STITCH THE EAR BUT DONT COUNT ON IT. iF YOU CANT AFFOED THE VET YOU MAY TRY TO STITCH IT YOURSELF BY CUTTING THE EDGES SO THAT THERE IS BLOOD, THEN STITCH WITH A STERILE NEEDLE (CURVED IF YOU HAVE ONE.) AND DENTAL FLOSS. IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK, BUT WORTH A TRY ,; I HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS WITH THIS BUT DONT WAIT, DO IT NOW, IF IT DOESNT WORK YOU CAN ALWAYS CUT THE TEAR OFF. AS FOR THE OTHER WOUNDS PEN-G FOR 5 DAYS AND FLUSH WITH WEAK IODINE SOLUTION, AND CDT FOR SURE. PROBIOS FOR STRESS, VIT e FOR SKIN. BETADINE IS MORE OF A SOAP IN MY OPINION BUT SHOULD WORK, OUR VET USES IT WHEN HE DOES PROCEDURES ON OUR CRITTERS.GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you ALL so much. Everyone is doing a lot better and I'm still working on re-homing my dog. Pippin's ear is look pretty good now, still a little swollen but not bothering him much anymore. The buckling isn't limping as bad, and is starting to put more weight on it when he is walking, it's still pretty swollen though. I'm hoping that will go down soon... Thanks again so much for all the help and advice. This site has been so helpful for me as a first time goat owner. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts