Dog attacked buck, doesn't look like he will make it. Need advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rascal66, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Last night we had two dogs attack my breeding buck. They managed to rip off his tail (now only hanging by skin but the bone is off) and his anus had been torn as well. He has 4 punctures on his inner thigh. The wound is deep and I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. What are his chances? I want to help as much as I can. He is alert and trying to stand but is in a lot of pain. I'm especially worried about his ability to poop. He won't eat or drink and has been sitting all day. I'm open to any and all advice... I'm starting to think maybe we should put him down but I want to try to help if he even has a chance.
    20190312_233543.jpg 20190312_233605.jpg

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh my. Is there any chance at all you can get him to a vet (or get a vet to come see him)? In that location, you're going to be battling terrible infection, and you're right that he may not be able to poop (or it might be too painful). I'm sure he has a "chance" (where there's life there's hope), but it's going to be a long, painful haul for this guy. He needs antibiotics and a tetanus shot right away, and he'll definitely need some serious pain management. I really think you need to get a vet involved. Without a tail, his poor backside is going to have more than its fair share of fly problems as well. I hope the dogs have been "taken care of."

3. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thank you so much for your word. I found a vet that can come out, but we are on a tight budget and I'm admittedly afraid the cost since we just don't have the funds. We recently invested in some more acreage for future farm things and I'm just not sure if the cost will be manageable at this time. I'll need to discuss with my husband, because arguably he could be worth it if he makes it. We both don't want him to suffer and want to keep him. I'm wondering what more I can do on my end. Will peroxide be okay to apply for the time being? Will i need to amputate the remainder of his tail? :'( tough decisions.

As for the dogs, unfortunately they are not my own but another family members. We haven't had the chance to discuss their future here on the farm, but I want them gone. (As much as I do adore them). They have shown aggression towards the goats and cows before, it was just a matter of time before a mishap happened.

Trollmor and Treva Brodt like this.
  4. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    OMG poor boy, that is horrifying. My neighbors big "puppy" keeps getting loose lately and this is what I'm worried about because its a saint Bernard x Pyrenees I have seen him HURDLE some of my fence where the goats haven't been and he mutilates the owners animals constantly. This would kill me. I would have them pay for this, the price of the animal if you have to put him down or if he can be saved the bills to save him should be their responsibility. This makes me so mad and sick to my stomach. The dogs need to be rehomed, put down or "Taken for a walk". I wouldn't trust them with anything living after that.

5. Mmhyronimus

Mmhyronimus Well-Known Member

I agree with the antibiotics and a cdt shot. It's hard to tell without actually seeing the total wound. A vet would be your best bet. The size of that wound will definitely need stitches. Can you tell if his bowels were opened? If not then he has a good chance but if they are cut, the infection may have already started.

6. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    I would also advise neosporin ..some childs aspirin for pain.

I'll just be honest..this dogs need killing.

once they taste the blood you will never be able to trust them.call me callous but they would've been dead not shortly after I found them family be dammed

7. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    It's safe to say this animal is also in shock

8. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what to do. On my farm, 3 bullets would be saying "hello/goodbye" to 3 animals. And the other family member would be presented with a bill for a replacement buck.

I'm so sorry.

I do have a feeling that unless his value is extremely high, you will be money/time ahead putting him down and getting another.

9. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Family or not, it is 100% the responsibility of those dogs' owners to pay for every penny of the vet bill and/or a replacement buck. If it were me, I'd be having a vet out today and I'd be talking to the dogs' owners about how they plan to pay for it. I guarantee if one of their dogs had been injured by the goat, they'd be taking it to the vet and swallowing the cost. Those dogs need to be off the farm one way or another. I guarantee this is not their last attack. I would personally want them put down, but some dogs that are terrible around a farm are actually quite nice if they are never allowed near livestock.

If the tail is just hanging by a thread then yes, it will need to be removed. You can't have it going gangrenous. This boy should have something stronger than aspirin or he may decide to hold it rather than go poop, at which point he'll have even bigger problems. If you can't get a vet, I recommend putting him down before this becomes a long, painful ordeal for him. There's always the chance he could live through it (I'm sometimes amazed by what goats can survive), but there's a greater chance he won't, in which case you'd feel terrible for letting him suffer. I'm sorry you're going through this.

10. JearDOE Ranch

JearDOE Ranch Active Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    Because the dogs future have not been discussed: I have a pit mix and we not only let her around our goats, but she sleeps with my bottle baby right now. I say that because you can train any dog to respect your goats. Though not your dogs, not your responsibility. That being said since there has already been an attack and the dog has tasted goat blood, the general rule after a dog tastes blood is that there is no going back. It's too late. I would not consider letting the dogs stay.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Trollmor likes this.
  11. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thank you all for your response and time to read.

I'm heartbroken, truly, and I agree with many of you. I don't trust these dogs one bit. I called a vet to get some estimate and hubby and I decided it would be best to put him down as soon as possible. We will probably do it when he gets home (early morning.) He was a good buck, and he gave me 7 beautiful babies last week. I will miss him.

The tail wound isn't his only wound as he still has about 4 deep puncture wounds on his leg. He doesn't seem to be bleeding much anymore, and is still laying down/sitting. I'll keep an update on anything further.

Not sure how live stock guardian dogs do it, but I'm not sure if I could never trust a dog like this again.believe me, if it were our dogs, we would have rid them a long time ago. Rehomed or put down.

Trollmor and MadCatX like this.
  12. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    That is so sweet.. Would love to see pics. I do believe that a very well trained dog can be utilized and taught, but I don't think I would ever trust leaving them alone. When these dogs were pups, they were taught to leave the chickens alone, but I don't think it was trained well enough. They still eventually killed two chickens when they got older (they were unsupervised). Then began showing urges to chase down the goats or cows. (We kept them within electric fencing but they still wanted to "play" or chase).
    If anyone is wondering, they are Rotties. They are okay and listen when around us, but always up to no good when alone.

Trollmor likes this.
  13. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    I tried to look, and its hard to tell but I feel like his intestinal tract is still in one piece, but his anus is cut badly and is acting as a flap. I'm wondering if there is a way to clean it out a bit. But since we are deciding to put him down, I'm thinking of leaving him.

Goats.galore and Trollmor like this.
  14. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm sorry you're having to put him down. Do you have any painkillers to get him through until your husband gets home? As the shock wears off the pain is going to start hitting home. Banamine or Bute are good options. I can't help but think that he would heal with time and treatment, but probably not without a vet's help.

Trollmor, catharina and Goat_Scout like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Do you not have a friend or neighbor that would do it for you now? Your poor guy will suffer all night as he has been all day. I do not ever do the deed but i would if it meant this animal would have to be like this til mornin. Yes absolutely i would cry as i did it but i could get it done. I am in NO WAY fussing at you here so please do not take it that way. I know this is hard on you as well.

16. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    I have a cat that tangled with something. It ripped his tail mostly off. Vet said their was enough skin to close it but he may not be in control of his bowels. We decided to give him the chance and thank god he is fine.

17. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I understand you are between a rock and a hard place, and I really feel sympathy for your poor innocent animal. I don't know your situation, or if you have other animals/children, but how can you justify keeping these "killers". And so what if they are "good" when there are humans "watching" them. That doesn't even make sense. They would be dead or gone, period.

Trollmor and MadCatX like this.
  18. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I am so so sorry you are going threw this :( I also suggest either looking for some really good pain killers or seeing if you could find someone to come put him down. I hate hate hate having to put animals down and I have a huge fear of not getting the job done the first go around but I always talk myself into it. BUT I am super familiar with guns. If you are not, don’t even try but see if you can find either someone with drugs or a gun to help you. Don’t use aspirin, it is a blood thinner and if he has any internal bleeding he will bleed out, which may cause him even more pain.
    I’m not sure what the situation is with your family that owns these dogs so I’m not going to even attempt to give advise there, but if the dogs do not end up leaving you NEED to do something to protect your other goats. I only bring this up because I know I would be a mess in this situation and probably not fully thinking. If you need to go and find the meanest hot fence you can get and put up around the outside of their pen. Try and figure out if they went threw under or over the fence and put the wire where it needs to go. I have hit fence on the outside of my fence and it has saved my goats from stray dogs getting in before.
    Again I am so very sorry for your situation

Trollmor, catharina and Treva Brodt like this.
  19. adrienne

adrienne Active Member

Our dog killed a neighbor's pig in a terrible way. She had never seen a pig before and came across it tied up and alone in some tall grass. We bought the neighbors a new pig and our dog has never messed with another pig again. They can learn, if the owners are willing to put the time into teaching them.

Trollmor and Dwarf Dad like this.
  20. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I know you are getting a lot of feedback here. He has already survived the shock for 24 hours which is amazing. I will only suggest three things while you decide your course of action:

Get some heat on the goat ASAP as cold is the biggest factor with shock, regardless of outdoor temperature. Blankets from the dryer, heating pad, heat lamps, what have you.

Go inject a hefty dose of antibiotics right now, while you decide what to do. It sounds like it has been nearly 24 hours since the attack and bacteria is a very real concern. Whichever antibiotics you have on hand, get them in him.

Flush those wounds right now with diluted iodine or peroxide. Use a needle-less syringe for the puncture type wounds and get in as much as you can. The bacteria already has a 24 hours head start on you.