dog attacks!?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, May 22, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Have you ever had your dog or others attack any of your goats??
    i have a staffy that has started to.she will nip it. shes never attacked my animals before. shes been always good. im worried, can you get a dog out of doing it? has a dog killed any of your goats?

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i had a dalmatian who was recently put down because of cancer
    he used to help me herd my goats but never nipped or growled
    just him running after the goats made them run
    however
    he got to close to a doe with kids and she sent him bum over tea cup
    he wouldn't ever go near another goat
    i have an old black lab mix that goes out to pasture with me from time to time but totally ignores the goats
    my daughter has a jack russle that used to go out to pasture
    he would chase the goats but never growled or nipped
    when the goats got tired of running they would turn around and butt him
    he would roll over on his back and stay there until they turned away then it was back to the chase
    he acts "weird" around the babies tho so we haven't let him back in pasture since they were born
    better safe than sorry
    my son has a border collie that tries to kill my barn cats and has tried to attack my goats thru the fence
    she did grab a chicken one day but we got the chicken away before she harmed it
    personally, i want to shoot her - she needs to leave but my son refuses - he bought her for his GF but her mom wont let her have her
    if she ever kills anything i will shoot her with the carcas in her mouth
    a neighbor lets their 2 chocolate labs run loose all the time but they haven't bothered the goats yet
    a friend decided to raise pigs and his 2 dogs (?breed?) got into the pen and killed them
    he saved what meat he could and still has the dogs but that's his choice

3. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am not so sure I would trust her now. Once a dog exhibits that behavior it is hard to change. I am not so sure I would trust her. My husband has a relative who raised Saanens and she always kept her German Shephards with them along with a Great Pyr. When the dog was 5 years old it all of a sudden went on an attacking spree and killed 5 big Saanens. She didn't know why. I have an English bulldog and she barks at the goats through the fence and I would never allow her in the pasture. Better safe than sorry. Good Luck

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what breed of dog? when does she act like this, what are the cercomstances surrounding that behavior?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I posted the other day on a thread about another member looking at getting a dog that was I think a year old.

Anyway, I got a 1/2 Brazillian Mastiff, 1/4 English Mastiff, 1/4 pyrenese when she was 5 weeks old - her name is Luna. We moved to the ranch when she was 6 months old. She would go in the goat pen with me when I would feed and I started acclimating her to the goats, but NEVER allowed in there when I was not in the pen to watch. Once in a while she would try to chase one - never to hurt it, only wanted to mouth it.

About 2 months ago, I decided I wanted another dog for her to play with, as our old rott would not play and so Luna was getting into trouble chewing on things. So I started looking around and found her littermate on craigslist. So we brought her home. Her name is Paris.

Since Paris has been here, I have lost 3 babies. Now 1 of them I am not sure that it was because of the dogs, but the other 2 I am positive. The kids got out of the fence through an unknown hole (that we have since found and sealed) but they were "run to death". There was no tears on them and they were not torn apart - just COVERED in slobber and dead. So I know that they ran then till their little hearts exploded.

I don't think they ment to - I think that Paris was just trying to play with them, but the goats were not smart enough to go back in the pen or hide under the trailers or whatever like the cat does. They will get the cat and the cat will just sit there, so the dogs get bored and move on to do something else - but the goats scream and run - so it is more fun.

I think that if both dogs would have been 5 weeks when we got them and put them both straight in with the goats they would have been fine - but I can't trust them at all and I will never have a dog in the pen with my goaties! Just my opinion. Dogs still no matter what have the "natural" instincts in them and they can turn at anytime no matter what training or how they have been bred, or how old they are.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I to dont' leave my dogs unattened with my goats. But the question was can the behavior be fixed. It really just depends. I am not training expert but I have learend a tad through my own dog.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    By staffy - I am assuming that it is a Staffishire Terrier. And I definately would not take the chance if the dog is already exibiting the signs of aggression towards the goats. Especially in a terrier breed as these breeds have a long history of being used for aggression and even though the animals of today are domesticated, the drive is still there - and if you can "correct" it, the drive remains.

I would be cautious and error on the side of caution.

8. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    We have 3 does and one 2month old wether. Our outside dog is a Border Collie/Heeler, Pepper.
    Some dog trainers will do an evaluation and tell you what you can do for whatever behavior concerns you. We did this and the trainer agreed with us that it would not be safe to ever have Pepper unattended with the goats. The goal we set was to be able to have her with us when we are out with the goats. The problem is Pepper doesn't understand that play butting can be a game and is not always a threat. We are hoping to teacher her that with the wether which by the way is almost bigger than her. Maybe a smaller goat will be less threatening. We have been working with her by taking her out on leash (so we can correct her) for walks with the goats. We use a squirt gun to correct the goats. Now all we have to do is show them the squirt gun. This is a slow process. I hope this helped

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My shepard/chow who is now passed on was introduced to my Bootsie when she was 6 weeks old...and he never once paid her any mind, even when my herd grew and there were babies bouncing all over, he even baby sat! I did have a border collie...hit by the bus a year ago and she just wanted to "keep them in the fence"...now the old cocker is just plain jealous when my kids are near me...ok with them, but gets po'd when momma nails him! My 2 mutts, beagle mix and pointer cross, are ok with them...the pointer will play with Binky and well, jack just aggitates the girls...barks and bays, growls at them til they chase him.....I don't know if you can get the un desired behaviour out of a dog that is naturally that way. My personal thinking is that if I can't trust a dog with my goats then they will find a new home, but then again, I've not had a dog that I couldn't trust.

My neighbor has a massive choc. lab that visits on occasion, never once has he bothered my kids, even when they are out browsing, I trust him...neighbor on the other side of the hill has had warnings though about her dogs being here and stalking my goats...nothing a shotgun didn't take care of after the third "warning". Sorry, but around here it's an understanding to follow the 3 S's....shoot, shovel, shut up!

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've only had one dog attack our goats and it wasn't owned by us. It got in the barn really early one morning while it was still dark and we ended up having to euthanize a junior doe that it paralyzed. It cut some of the others up. We shot the dog. It was a German Shepherd.

We do have a dog, a Greyhound but he doesn't really go in the goat pasture much. He is a big wuss so he'd be more afraid of the goats than they are of him. They are oblivious to him and likewise. He never blinks at them.

We are getting two puppies though. Pyrenees/Lab cross puppies that are raised with Nigerians. So I can't wait. We've had a lot of scares recently with local dogs and we've been hearing more and more reports of coyotes close by so they can't get here quick enough.

11. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    if dh or i goes 2 grab a goat 2 check it over she try 2 nip it.. but the other day she was chasing sheep with my dads dog. it was like a game.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    SHe needs some STRONG repromands when she does that! I won't allow my dog near my goats if he was nipping at them especially when I was right there :angry:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This could very well end up being a deadly "game" for your goats! I agree with Stacey, strong reprimands and DO NOT trust her with your goats alone.

14. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    when we adopted our schnauzer/yorkie mix, Tobey in 2002, we called him Tobey trainwreck and allmost took him back to the shelter. He bit me the first day here, jumped at the sight of his own shadow and wanted to kill any chicken he could get hid teeth into. It took alot of patience to get him past his problems and the very last one that we worked on was his appetite for chicken. If he couldn't get past that then he was destined to be tied up whenever outside. (tormented by the chickens who knew exactly how far his leash went). We started taking him on leash out to the barn for "chore time" and whenever he understood a correction he was rewarded with a bisquit. He learned fairly fast that working for bisquits was fun and now he reminds me every evening when it's "time to do the chickies" Everybody said that a terrier can't be trusted around livestock be Tobey proved it wrong. I just wish i could get our Dauchshund/cocker mix to stop trying to "flush up" the birds. Both dogs accompany me to the barn always and I trust them both completely however now and then they break a rule and grab an egg or something and then i know it's time to spend some training time with them.