The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Unfortunately one of our two kids got their face clamped by the jaws of a dog this morning... She's only 3 months old and has a cut to the nose and the lower part of her top lip. I treated her with iodine cream and later in the day applied some antibiotic cream. This was after washing out with a saline solution. The swelling on her face increased through the day and had some foam from the mouth (possibly swallowed cream? Dog does not have rabies) she was unable to eat. However, later in the afternoon she started to eat again (substantially) and had water. The swelling dropped towards early evening and has continued to eat. I've treated her again with more antiseptic cream for bedtime.
My questions really are: how soon should the swelling reduce completely? Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm guessing it's more shock but she has not been as spritely today so I'm just very worried. T shots been given previously
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Keep a close watch for any signs of an infection beginning in the wound area. Try to gently touch the area a few times a day to check for warmth above the regular body warmth developing. Pus showing up is another sign of infection. Try to keep the wound clean, free of dirt and other foreign objects. Great news to read tetanus vaccines were given prior to this happening. Was/has the follow up booster been given also?

The wound area is probably causing some pain and discomfort. I noticed you live in Italy, so am not familiar with the availability of medications or livestock supplies you could obtain. You could give your kid (1) children's baby aspirin or (1) low dose 81mg sized adult aspirin for pain relief every 4-6 hours. Just crush the tablet into a powder, dissolve it in a small amount of water and gently squirt it into the side corner of the mouth with a injection syringe that does not have a needle. An eye dropper or a clean medicine dropper would work also. A cold compress may help reduce some of the swelling and help some with the discomfort as well. I honestly don't know how long it would take for the swelling to completely go away.

Other members may reply to this thread as well and offer more advise to help. Please feel free to ask any questions and voice any concerns you may have. Sorry your kid was attacked by a dog.

·
Super Moderator
83,143 Posts
If they are puncture wounds, it needs to be flushed daily for about 4 days or so. If it is going into the mouth use something that is safe for her to ingest.
Any other wounds make a light tea color iodine/water solution and flush 2 x a day. Dog bites have a lot of bacteria in there. You may want to start antibiotics in case.

Also if the goat has never had a CD&T vaccine shot, she will need a tetanus antitoxin.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try to use Melagel from Melaleuca. That will prevent infection and work fast. Bummer about the dog. Was he trying to herd her?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts