Dog hassled kid - stiff knee

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Oceansrain, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Oceansrain

Oceansrain New Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Early this morning I witnessed my neighbors dog thrash my 2 week old Nigerian dwarf by the hind legs. I immediately ran him inside (after dealing with the dog) and gave him a mild scrub down under warm water and dish soap. For the next 5min all he wanted to do was eat his tail-falling over in the process- and appeared to be blind (swinging his head into random objects), while bleating constantly. Since the incident, he has not been able to bend his right hind leg profficiently by himself, making it difficult to stand, as he starts to slowly lean towards the right and has to correct himself . Other than that, there are no obvious signs of dog poisoning, swelling, fever, or broken skin. It has been 10hrs. He has nursed, and is currently napping next to his mom, with his bum leg off to the side. As for drugs, I have only administered a 1/2cc of penicillin (sub-q). Should I wrap the joint in a bandage? Or try to loosen it up by some bending? Any recommendations or tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would give him a B Complex shot and a shot of Banamine.

3. Oceansrain

Oceansrain New Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Okay! I have B complex, but not the other one.
    He seems to be all good mentally, its just his knee joint that wont cooperate. What about a splint?

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I hope he is ok. Don't give the dog a second chance. It will continually try to get the baby
    goat.

5. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Poor baby :( Hope he is on the mend.

6. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Give him some fish oil gels, or cod liver oil. Fish oil helps relieve inflammation and aches in the joints, and will lubricate cartilage.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    give him 1/2 a baby aspirin see if that helps....along with b complex...watch for swelling...

8. Oceansrain

Oceansrain New Member

Apr 16, 2014
    UPDATE: He is almost better! I treated his leg like a post medial tendon stress tear as I would after a running injury. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. And now he is running all over the place, no problem. Sometimes when hes standing he would lean to the right a bit but it isn't as severe and it's improving everyday. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I wouldn't of thought to give him aspirin or fish caps, and they made a huge difference.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great that he is doing better.