The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was hoping you all could help me once again. I expect to be picking up 3 Nigerian Dwarf doelings at the end of May. Two will be around 12 weeks old and the other 8 weeks old. They are dam raised and I'm not sure how tame they will be.

We have a big barn and about 1.5-2 acres fenced off for goats. However, I thought I'd make a smaller temporary pen using two sides of an existing chain link fence and cattle panels (lined with chicken wire so they don't get their heads stuck). I think it would be nice for them to be closer to the house while they are babies, and I think I'd like for them to get accustomed to us in a smaller space. Also the grass/undergrowth is kind of lush in the big pasture right now, and I'm feeling paranoid about bloat, so I thought it might be wise to get them gradually used to browsing in the big field...which brings me finally to my question.

I'm completely new to the goat world, and I don't know exactly how big 12 and 8 week-old Nigerians are! Would large dog houses be okay for temporary shelters for the babies until I move them out into the big field/barn? About how big would the dog houses have to be and how many would I need?

Thank you so much for all the help, advice, and patience with all my dumb questions! I hope someday I can gain the experience to help others and return the favors. This forum is wonderful.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know exactly what type of dog house you are referring to. Are you talking about the big igloo style or like the traditional box shape? Either way, the biggest size dog house should be good, as long as they have enough room to comfortably bed down. Another idea you might consider is using a big plastic tote/tank. They are about 4x4x4 ft and plenty large enough for three little nigerians. It also works good as a hot box for babies born in cooler weather.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have a large Igloo dog house in my kid pen, and there are six standard sized goat kids, ranging in ages from about 3 weeks to 2 months old sharing that thing. They are quite cozy in the house together, but that's how they like it. It keeps them warm on the chilly nights. They enjoy jumping on top of it and sliding down the side, too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't know exactly what type of dog house you are referring to. Are you talking about the big igloo style or like the traditional box shape? Either way, the biggest size dog house should be good, as long as they have enough room to comfortably bed down. Another idea you might consider is using a big plastic tote/tank. They are about 4x4x4 ft and plenty large enough for three little nigerians. It also works good as a hot box for babies born in cooler weather.
Thanks! I am actually still looking for the dog house(s). It would be nice to find them used to save a little $$. I am envisioning the large igloo doghouses, scouring FB and Craiglist but haven't found anything suitable yet. I just don't know if I could get away with just using one or maybe two doghouses or if I'd have to buy one per kid.

Is this the type of tote/tank that you mean? I would love to get ahold of some of those! I will keep my eyes open. (I also like those 55 gallon plastic drums/barrels. I wanted one to make a cheap-ish waterer for my pigs, it took me forever to find one, and then they wouldn't use it, of course. lol).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a large Igloo dog house in my kid pen, and there are six standard sized goat kids, ranging in ages from about 3 weeks to 2 months old sharing that thing. They are quite cozy in the house together, but that's how they like it. It keeps them warm on the chilly nights. They enjoy jumping on top of it and sliding down the side, too.
Great, thanks! That is the kind of dog house I am envisioning. I just wasn't sure how many I might need for three kids, and I kind of hate to buy multple new ones at over $100 each since I only plan to use them temporarily. I'm thinking I might need two?? It would be nice to get at least one used, but I haven't found anything suitable yet. :(

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you go with the large Igloo doghouses, start with just one or maybe two. Even my full sized standard Nubians (these are 150+ lb. goats) would use the igloos. My wether and buck used to somehow share an Igloo house. Not sure how they fit, but they preferred it to their other options, sometimes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks! I am actually still looking for the dog house(s). It would be nice to find them used to save a little $$. I am envisioning the large igloo doghouses, scouring FB and Craiglist but haven't found anything suitable yet. I just don't know if I could get away with just using one or maybe two doghouses or if I'd have to buy one per kid. The large dog houses seem to cost $100+ when new, but I'd rather keep things as cheap as possible since this is just temporary. '

Is this the type of tote/tank that you mean? I would love to get ahold of some of those! I will keep my eyes open. (I also like those 55 gallon plastic drums/barrels. I wanted one to make a cheap-ish waterer for my pigs, it took me forever to find one, and then they wouldn't use it, of course. lol).

View attachment 208320
Yes! I found mine at the local dump for free! It didn't have the cage around it, but it works fine. Just cut an opening in one side, and you're good to go. I have seen them on craigslist. Just make sure you know what was in them and wash them out good before using them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes! I found mine at the local dump for free! It didn't have the cage around it, but it works fine. Just cut an opening in one side, and you're good to go. I have seen them on craigslist. Just make sure you know what was in them and wash them out good before using them.

Wow, that's a great find!! The only one I found near me on Craigslist right now is listed at $225. :( If I was going to spend that much, I think I'd just get a calf hut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.