Dog sick...help?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by liz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, I hope I can get an ear to beat or any help at all with my "Old Man".
    Max is a Cocker Spaniel that just turned 14 years on the 4th, He's been getting a 325mg aspirin every other day or so as needed, he has arthritic hips and knees. He started throwing up this morning before I left for work at 5 am and hubby has been with him all day, I came home at 2 seeing newspaper covering spots on the floor...my old dog has been vomiting all day, he wagged his stump when he saw me, even went outside just to start heaving again, I took his temp and he's normal, no fever (101.3) He has refused food and water, did get a small amount into him but he threw it back up. I got a bit of pepto into him hoping it would calm his stomach...a little over 3 cc, offered him an ice cube and he refused it...I 'm not ready for him to leave me yet and I am hoping it's just a bug or upset stomach...he's had a raspy sounding nose for a year now and the vet says allergies. I hope he gets better but at the same time I don't want him to give up yet, I'm not ready to dig another hole. :cry:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Could he have eaten something like a sock...bag...fabric...toy...etc.? I would watch him close and take him to the vet if it continues through the evening, if it's not gone by morning you'll want to have a vet look at him ASAP. Good luck, he sounds like a doll and a cocker spaniel...awwwww. :love:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What kind of dog food are you feeding him? Has there been any recent changes in his diet? I hope you can figure out what is wrong with him.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had the same symptoms with him 7 or 8 years ago and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis...he's been well monitered when it comes to his diet and he hasn't been much for chewing/eating things he shouldn't be, I don't know how long a Cocker is supposed to last but at 14 he is pretty old.
    He's been on the same food for the last 5 years, no changes ,Dad's Bite Size Meal...it's soy free and vet even said the fat/protein ratio was good for him.

Here he is in February, looking pitiful like he usually does with his winter coat.
    [​IMG]

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awww...he's so cute! I love the cockers! Great little dogs! Good luck with him and hope you can get this all figured out.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What a handsome guy! :love:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Liz,

Did the vet tell you to give him an aspirin? Aspirin in dogs destroys the liver and kidneys as they can not break it down like humans.

I would have him at the vet. With it being summer, his age, and not eating or drinking - he can become dehydrated very quickly.
    If you lift his lip and push on the gums, when you let go - how long does it take for the gums to turn pink again?
    Are the mucus membrains pink, red, or white?
    Are they damp, dry, or really wet?
    What is his temp?
    How long has he been doing this for now?
    Did he or could he have gotten into any garbage or human food?
    Is he on any other medications?

Typically, he is getting to the "very old" stage of his life at 14 y/o. If he can not keep anything at all down - even water there is an issue going on that needs attention.

I hope that I or someone else can help you!

Allison

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison his temp is holding at 101.3, his mouth is wet and gums pink, nose is dry on top but damp around the front, eyes are not bright, though he has beginning cataracts, he's looking "puzzled" to me, no other meds and the aspirin was advised by the vet due to his stiffness on occassion, he doesn't get it daily, just when he has a problem rising, walking so it's not been a "constant". He did go out and pee with my help, but has gone back to being under the bed....has not vomited since 2:30, but then he hasn't eaten or drank either since he got the pepto at 4:30....his vet isn't available on weekends so please pray that he recovers enough to wait for Monday morning. I understand that dehydration is a big issue and believe me I'll do as much as he tolerates to keep him going, if thats what he wants.
    As it stands though, he has numerous fatty tumors and this awful snorty sound like he can't breathe through his nose...this latter has been going on for a year and his vet said allergies, the tumors started to develope 9 years ago and he has one the size of a football on his ribs..it looks like a football cut in half lengthwise and goes from his shoulder to just over his last rib, the other bigger one is as big as a tennis ball and is on his chest under one nipple and he has at least 4 marble sized ones in various places, these have never bothered him and he has continued to run and play and fend off the puppy..8 month old Katie as well as bark at the cats and DH , he has his cantankerous moments but he is my first "dog" as an adult and it is something how they can just break your heart when something isn't right.

At this point in his life...and I know he had a great one, I "rescued" him at 4 months old from an abusive "waste of space" person and he has been with me since, I don't know if it would be selfish of me to want him to last forever or just let him decide.
    His eyes are droopy...not just Spaniel droopy, I can tell he's troubled, his lids are pink and moist and he turns away from me when I put his face in my hand, I have him comfortable and the pup is outside but his "pain in the butt kitty" is next to him and he's ok with that.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is there a pet emergency clinic near you? I would be real curious to see what his Chem blood screem would show. Can you get lactated ringers, IV line and needles at the Farm store. I would give him some Sub Q fluids. Does he seem like he is sore when he gets up? Are the tumors Fatty Lypomas or actual cancerous tumors? Cockers are known for growths :)

I sure hope that he is going to be ok :hug:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Emergency vet clinic is in Pittsburgh.....too far for me to stress him, vet said these tumors are fatty tumors because they are "moveable"?? and not attached like a cancer growth would be. I gave him another ice cube and he's licked at it so maybe thats a plus??

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh Liz i hope he pulls through for you :pray:

We just burried my grandmom's dog on Thursday. :cry:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well he went out on his own, came back in and had a drink.....it's been 20 minutes and he's held it down...so far and when I gave my older(16 1/2 years) cat her "special food" he seemed interested as always with that....this is a good sign so I pray he keeps the water down.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sending prayers your way that he can hold it down

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you Stacey...very much appreciated as he's held it down now for over an hour! :leap:

15. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Can you get some pedialyte or gatorade in him? That will help with hydration until you can figure out what else is wrong. I gave that to my basset who was dying of cancer on days when she would vomit he food. Also the raspy sound could be congenital heart disease. They used to diagnose my bulldog with just allergies too but he had heart disease. Hope he's feeling better soon. Thought are with you. :hug:

16. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I hope Max is feeling better soon. It is so hard to know what to do as they get older. My shepherd/husky mix is 13 and he takes more medicine than I do. He has his own prescription card at Walgreens to get a discount on his meds! The things we do for our animals.

17. 2goatjo

2goatjo New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    How long as he been given the aspirin? That will upset their stomach or cause ulcers in dogs. I have a beagle that has arthitis that the dr gave dermamax to. She is the one who told me what aspirin would do.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Don't know how I missed this! I am glad to hear he is doing better! :wahoo:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He is doing better today, no vomiting and he has had a bit of food and kept it down. He is moving alot slower but still greeted me at the door when I got off work today. The aspirin has been on an as needed basis for the last 4 months, since his checkup and I was advised to give it with food as it can upset the stomach...the raspiness in his breathing isn't in his chest it's in his nose, vet said he had a strong ticker at that time also so I don't think it's a congenital heart defect...I think it would have shown up in his "first years", theres no interest in his regular food though he is eating a bit of cooked chicken and brown rice...and has held that down, I am going to try and get an appointment tomorrow, and if it's something that can be fixed with meds or diet, so be it but if not I'll decide then..but right now I won't go there. At 10 years old he was the equivalent of 65 human years so now at 14 I can only imagine just how old he would be.

20. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    Oh Liz, I just logged on and saw this! I am so glad that he is licking ice cubes and keeping some water down. When the meds started wrecking Daisy's stomach we gave her goat milk which seemed to help a lot - we would often give her the meds after drinking the milk. You also might try getting some raw honey in him - all sorts of good stuff for the body in honey. I hope he pulls through this - I am praying for him! :hug: :pray: