The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so we have two catahoula mixes we use as LGD's. BEST dogs ever. One came down with a skin infection and ended up having hypothyroidism. Now I'm giving him meds for that plus antibiotics but I can't get him to take the meds. We've tried gravy, butter, pill pockets, shoving them down his throat, peanut butter. NOTHING works. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to get him use to eating something easy I can make. Lol and not make him fatter than he already is

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canned dog food and cheese, he won't take that. Haven't tried an egg. The antibiotic is a capsule so I've been opening them and pouring the powder on his food

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You wouldn't want to bake the meds. I think Amy means to mix it up to form a dough and put the capsule inside.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Okay so we have two catahoula mixes we use as LGD's. BEST dogs ever. One came down with a skin infection and ended up having hypothyroidism. Now I'm giving him meds for that plus antibiotics but I can't get him to take the meds. We've tried gravy, butter, pill pockets, shoving them down his throat, peanut butter. NOTHING works. Suggestions?

Get a regular slice of cheese and cut/tear off a piece that is the width of the pill. Roll the cheese around the pill and roll it into a ball between your hands. Now, get the dog excited about getting a treat, very excited, then toss him the cheese covered pill. It will go down the hatch before the dog ever knows there is a pill in it. I've used this trick for years, and it works every time. The key is getting the dog excited about getting a treat, though.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem is, he can't catch. And he's been lethargic so I don't think that will work for this guy. We made peanut butter balls and so far that's working. With my labs and Shepard we use this trick and it works all day long :) they don't even know what happened lol!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yeah, that could definitely be a problem. I'm sorry I don't have any other tricks to offer, and I'm sorry that your poor guy feels so bad. I sure hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liverwurst works wel and is super stinky to cover the taste try not to open the capsules if possible that can effect the absorption. Also I give the treat with the pill and immediately offer another treat right away to get him thinking about the new treat and hopefully swallow the one in his mouth Vienna sausage is a good one too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts