The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a dog forum but I know many goat owners have dogs and probably the same problem. My friends dog has started hollowing if you touched his ear. He ask me to look at it and I did. The dog had 3 tick in ear that I removed. I swabbed it out and black stuff was in it. I wash it out woth hydrogen peroxide and applied some olive oil in both ears. I did the same to both ears. Where the ticks were I sprayed a little bluekote. Should I give him a shot of LA 200 today and maybe another Tuesday evening. He is still touch about that ear just after the application of medicines. I see how he is doing in the morning. Advice please.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I know this is not a dog forum but I know many goat owners have dogs and probably the same problem. My friends dog has started hollowing if you touched his ear. He ask me to look at it and I did. The dog had 3 tick in ear that I removed. I swabbed it out and black stuff was in it. I wash it out woth hydrogen peroxide and applied some olive oil in both ears. I did the same to both ears. Where the ticks were I sprayed a little bluekote. Should I give him a shot of LA 200 today and maybe another Tuesday evening. He is still touch about that ear just after the application of medicines. I see how he is doing in the morning. Advice please.
My guess is either mites or an ear inf. But i almost bet an ear inf. Pull all the hair out of the ears with tweezers so you can see better. Clean it super good with mild soapy water and a washcloth. Dog probably needs see a vet though really. If it hurts to touch that much it is a bad one. ;/. The vet can give a good antibiotic and numbing ear drops. You do not know without the vet looking under a scope if it is a bacterial inf or viral. There is also a packed antibiotic that a vet can do so you do not need do ear drops or antibiotics so many times a day. It is a squirt it in there once and go for recheck in a week kinda thing.

And tell the owner to put a tick collar or flea and tick drops on that dog! We use the 8 month collar on lurs and never have a problem with bugs on the dogs. It is expensive but less so than the drops.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts