The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and have a question. Will a female goat let a buck do the deed if not in heat? I have a female goat that I was told she was bred but she has accepted my new pygmy buck named Travis with open arms. And she has never let my other male any where close to her girly area! So I am just curious. She has been talking to him licking her tongue and flagging her tale at him since we introduced them all. I know he mounted her at least 3 really good times.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks. Thats what I thought I had read some where. I know they go into heat around every 21 days. But is this monthly? I guess I will mark my calender for her breeding date.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
All goats cycle roughly every 17 - 21 days ... Why do you say the daory goats are different? Unless you mean that the swiss breeds are seasonal, but s are some other breeds and nubians will breed all year round.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my girls is a Nigerian dwarf and one is pygmy. I read that some goats only cycle for a few months out of the year. Is this true? I know others out here know way more than me. So any input is accepted. I have had all of them wormed and all of the have had their vaccines.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
My goats only cycle from late August/early September to January.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I read that some goats only cycle for a few months out of the year. Is this true?
Yes, that is true. Most dairy breeds don't cycle all year - I think they start around September and stop around early spring. The only dairy I have are Nubians, and all of mine cycle year round. I don't know when dwarfs, mini's, or pygmy's cycle, though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Travis was all over her Sunday when we got him home. But Monday no interest in her at all. They are still in the pen together. They are being good with each other. But he is now starting to show interest in my soon to pop pregnant girl in the other pen. Do the girls release hormones that confuse the buck? She is in the pen with her friend that is a buck and he has no interest in her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts