Domain name question

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by prairiewolf, Jan 19, 2010.

1. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Looking into domain name registration. I went through Yahoo for mine and it started out cheap then boy they really jacked the price up after the first year. (A lot more than it said it was going to go up too). I was looking at GoDaddy but their website is really confusing to me. I don't want a repeat of the Yahoo problem so I was trying to find pricing. Can someone tell me how much GoDaddy's .com websites are and if the price goes up after the first year? Thank you!! Any other suggestions of who to go with for a domain name would be very welcomed! I am using free web hosting so don't need that, just the domain.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with godaddy they are priced according to the demand. So if you have a high profile domain name its higher if it is not then its cheeper.

first you put the name in the little search thing. Then you will see if its available and the pricing for .com .net .us .org etc

I have TGS's domain name though godaddy and they havent upped it on me when I went to renew

there is an ICANN fee of like .50 cents and then if you want to have your name made private so that people cant search for the owner of the domain name and find your actual home address (required for domain name purchasing) thats a little more expensive but its worth it in my opinion.

3. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Thank you for the information! :thumb:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I did mine, and I think it was like $36 for 5 years through go-daddy.