Dominance questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Oct 10, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK, I don't profess to know everything about goats and DH admits he knows nothing but what I tell him. So far hes been really good but now hes gone off the deep end and started THINKING.

We have 2 goats, a 6-7 month old Sannen x Boer doe and an almost 4 month old PB Boer buckling. They weigh about the same amount but the buckling is slightly taller than the doe. DH thinks the doe is dominant because she stands on things to appear taller than the buckling. In my way of thinking they are pretty much equal as when they are together there is no fighting or outward show of dominance. They share a feed trough and usually eat side by side. Same with the water and the tree limbs. The doe is bred so there is no problem with them running together for a little while longer. The buckling does have a seperate area he can be placed in when the time comes.

What are your views on what determines dominance?

They have only done the walking on back legs once and that was when they first met. Nothing since. They rub heads but no actual head butting. The buckling does have horns for the time being but the doe doesn't.
    crocee

2. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    To me, I guess its whoever pushes to be first, plays queen, and I guess basically controls the joint. We have a 4 y/o Nubian, 2 y/o Nubian/alpine, and a 7 month old Nubian together. Guess who's the boss? The 7 m/o, even though shes the smallest. Lol. I guess it depends on whether or not the others are willing to feel intimidated or not.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    usually the older goat will be top dog........but I have found some of the youngsters "attempt " the pecking order.........but the older one says ,nope........ your not going to win..........so they back down..........sometimes it only takes one hit with the head...

I have also had them challenge each other....and butt heads for a very long period of time...........to where they are tired and breathing really hard...........I try to break them up,,,but as soon as I turn my back they are going at it again....I swear one of those does had to say something bad to the other doe or called her a name............................I do find that....... if you have a twin/and /or triplet sisters ..they do gang up on the other doe...not a fair fight.........so I try to pen up the other sister/and/or sisters............. so it is more of a fair fight...........In the past I have tried to pen up both fighting doe ...seperate...and later put them back in the pasture,,,but the brats say to each other................fight is on again.......................................so aggravating ...... :doh: .......I think they hold grudges... :roll: ....until the top goat proves her fighting strengths in the pecking order..............

As for the bucks against the does................Bucks seem to always be top "GOAT"

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    hhhhmmmm.... I don't really know what "determines" dominance, but all goats have a different personality and I think that has ALOT to do with it. I have had Does that dominate my Bucks and will push them around, and of course whenver someone new is added they all have to go through their pecking order to determine who is boss :roll:

Maybe someone else can help a little more :wink:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We have the FB boers......the bucks are so much bigger and if a doe is on hay or grain that he wants ..........he gets it.............it may be different with the smaller goats breeds............... I do not know? :shrug:

6. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yes, I should have been more specific... Back when we raised Boers my Bucks were usually dominant, but I also noticed that they would pick their fav girls out of the herd and those girls could get away with MURDER (stealing their feed, hay, etc.). But with the Minis I have had a few Bucks that were much more on the mild side, and were just big push overs :roll:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our buck is not overly-dominant. . . . the does don't care to mess with him though. Iris, Sarai, Sunset, and Honey are the herd queens. I'd say Sunset's "top doe" now. They're all brats (I say that with the greatest of love) ;). I love when goaties just get along but ours don't do that too often. :sigh: :roll:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good question! Very interesting resposes too!
    My limited experience is pretty much what Tothboers has described.
    It IS aggravating and you just cant make them all get along they have to fight it out..seperation only seems to prolong it.
    The first experience was when I brought 3 Boer sisters home...my first goats. A week later I went and picked up a Nubian from the same farm.
    The sisters all took turns beating the snot of of her! It took about a week. One would take her on as a project; a few days later the next one.
    I locked up one sister who was the last to pick on her. Well she hollered bloody murder..."Let me out I need to slap that **%^%$ around too!"
    Come kidding time the Nubian was the first and she has been Herd Queen since and the last sister to beat up on her has become her buddy.
    They make their own rules, much to our :hair:
    When the sisters have been in their kidding stalls right next to each other, they will butt heads when turned back into the main paddock. Its like they are greeting each other.

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    As for the buck now...the first couple of weeks he was here the girls all pigged out and never gave him a second thought.Not that I expected them to be ladies and share...ha!
    Anyways he now gets seperated at grain time with another doe and he has begun to assert himself. He'll even warn the chickens when they try to get a few pecks out.

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Hopefully mine will stay docile toward each other. Now when I bring another goat into the pen I guess the fight will be on.
    crocee

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    nancy d........ :thumbup:

you are very welcome.............they will fight ..with the new comer..........but hopefully it won't last long....... :worried:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    personality! the biggest -baddest doe (goat head (i know -fitting name)) always gets what she wants, and last yrs kid, zephyr, is her little princess and gets to do everything goat head gets. spoiled brat :roll: .

Do you think that the kids of a certain member of the herd will stay in their dams spot in the pecking order? or is that irrelevant?

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Personality must have a whole lot do with it!! The Boers are generally pretty laid back, but those Boer/Nubie crosses of Herd Queen are pushy little thangs.
    I dump a ration of feed in a pan for four 8mo olds to share....Nanette the half a** gets most of it.

When giving treats like a few corn husks or banana peels HQ is right there in my face gobbling down and snatching from others before they know whats happening.
    If I go in the pen empty handed she is the first one to come lean on me needing daily skritches. If others gather around she usually snakes thru.
    Actually I believe she is a lot smarter and certainly faster on her feet than the Boers.

15. I do know that this is true with dogs. That is the reason not to let your dog on your bed........the dominant dog gets the highest, driest spot to sleep. If you let your dog on your bed or furniture you are teaching them that they are equal to you in the family pack.

When my girls go in heat they always want to be up high and push everyone else off whatever they might be on.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think that is somewhat true. . . . Sarai's doe kid gets picked on a little but not nearly as bad as others. And now that Sunset is "top doe" in our herd, her daughter, Cordelia is not getting picked on as much, so yeah I think in some cases that is kind of true. Interesting how that works sometimes. . . .

17. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Yea I would imagine if they got big bad mummies they wouldnt get picked on :ROFL:

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh for the love of Pete I have worked with dobermans and pit bulls and various other breeds. They all slept on my bed and I haven't had any problems. Except the doberman. . .I didn't have a problem, he just didn't sleep on the bed as there was no room. Pack theory is a very outdated idea in the training of dogs. Okay. . . I am going to shut up on the subject now. I don't want to really get going.