Dominance

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mimo777, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    I just introduced my Alpines to my Nigerian Dwarves. They are doing the dominance thing. How long does it take for two 'queens' to decide dominance?

2. Well, that would depend on the queens. LOL most herds settle within two weeks. Others just never find a place in a herd and you have to move on or place them somewhere else.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    2 weeks sounds about right sometimes sooner sometimes longer. They should figure it out though

4. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    see I have never had to deal with this (luckily) because when i merged 7 new Boer goats into my herd the "queen" of the "Boer herd" was completely dominated by my original herds queen Gege, a Boer Nubian cross, Gege dominated the other queen in 2 days!

5. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    There was alot of battling last night between my two favorite girls, but there appears to be a tenuous truce right now. I can tell they haven't sorted things out fully yet.

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    One of the "queens" has to submit and that just depends on how strong willed they are ... time will tell....Keep us posted

7. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    The little one won. She is 1/2 the weight of the dominant alpine, so that was interesting.

8. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    Our herd has a dominant pygmy doe - and she is 1/3 the size of the nubian doe in there. Frankly, she is dominant over the guard llama - lol!

9. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    Our Pygmy doe thinks she could take our mini donkey. We never let them near each other but occasionally they will posture through the fence. Gert poofs up and does the sideways head thing and struts back and forth. It's kind of amazing either the heart or stupidity of that little goat. We just love her.