Don’t know what’s wrong with my doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bina, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    Hey everyone, I have a first time momma doe that isn’t acting herself and I am not sure what is wrong with her. She has no interest to eat grain but she will eat hay, grass, and alfalfa. Her milk is down (she kidded 2 weeks ago) and she is low on energy. Her poop looks normal and she is still drinking water but she just isn’t herself. She is arching her back and grinding her teeth so I know she must be in a bit of pain. The only thing that I think could be causing this is that she looked bloated a few days ago. She was acting fine then but she was huge! It went down on its own but now she’s acting like this. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Possibly milk fever? She came from a place that didnt do shots so she’s never had CDT , could she have entrotoxemia? Thank you

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I would definitely be suspicious of enterotoxemia. I’ve had does come down with it two days after a feed raid/bloat, even though they acted fine with no diarrhea, etc. until two days later.

3. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    But if she’s still eating and poop is still normal, that’s good, regardless of what’s causing it.

4. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    What is her temp? Have you changed her feed or did she get into any feed on her own? Did you worm her after kidding? How is her color, is she anemic? These are questions to help try to figure it out. Getting her temperature is very important. You can just use a regular thermometer that you can dedicate to livestock use.

mariarose likes this.
  5. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    Hello! Her temperature is 102.8..I did worm her the day after kidding with Molly’s herbs for 3 days straight and then weekly... her eyes and lips are pink... the only change in feed was a new bale of prairie hay that I mix with brome.. the prairie hay came from our field and she’s been getting it regularly...

6. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
  7. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    She seems bloated again which doesn’t make sense to me... never had bloated goats, it’s never been an issue... I could just drench her with MOM or BAKING SODA???

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The picture doesn't look like bloat. I would be giving 6 ounces of dark flat beer and a B Complex shot. I'd also have a fecal done to include coccidia on Monday.

happybleats and toth boer goats like this.
  9. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    What does the flat beer do? I’ve given her nutridrench and an immunity tincture... was going to give her a probiotic today too... what makes you think coccidia? Thanks for responding

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You should always include coccidia in a fecal test. I have no idea what parasites she has but you want to cover all the bases. The beer helps settle the stomach faster than probiotics. Yeast in the beer. Definitely give probiotics as well.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    Ok that makes sense , thanks! Last time they got checked their worm count was fine which wasn’t to long ago...

12. Bina

Bina Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Kansas
    Meadow seems more like herself today... she isn’t as high on her left side and she’s eating alfalfa hay.. so thanks for all the good info.. my vet is coming out today to double check her and get a stool sample..

happybleats and Dwarf Dad like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California