The Goat Spot Forum banner

Donating milk for tax deduction

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  OakHollowRanch 
#1 ·
I found out something interesting today and thought I would share! I work at an animal shelter and we always have a lot of puppies and kittens that need to be bottle fed, and normally the shelter will use powdered formula that has been donated or purchased by us. While chatting with a coworker about my goats, she said that if I ever had a surplus of milk they would greatly appreciate a donation of some for the bottle feeders, and I would get a receipt and a tax deduction in return. Goats milk is WAY more nutritious for those little guys than the powered formula, we actually purchase it from the store for the pups that aren't doing too well, and I wouldn't mind a nice little money off my taxes! So if anyone ever finds themselves with more milk than they need, I highly suggest going to a local animal shelter or rescue and see if they would accept some goats milk for their bottle babies. Ask for a receipt and you'll get a deduction every time you donate, no matter how small the amount!

#5 ·
I doubt its the same for all, in our lame state of tennessee it is illegal to even give away raw goats milk for animal use. You have to have a commercial feed license to give away, donate or sell for animal consumption, you dont wanna know what you got to do for human consumption...pretty sure it involves a deal with the devil and greasing lots of palms..

#6 ·
I doubt its the same for all, in our lame state of tennessee it is illegal to even give away raw goats milk for animal use. You have to have a commercial feed license to give away, donate or sell for animal consumption, you dont wanna know what you got to do for human consumption...pretty sure it involves a deal with the devil and greasing lots of palms..
Meh I would rather live farther down south in Tennessee than in Maryland. I looked it up and the rules are worse here. Which didn't surprise me all that much. I mean, we are the same dumb state that has a rainwater tax.

#7 ·
Same with NY....stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.