The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rusty
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas out there for a newbie breeding for the first time?
I put my buck in with my three Nigerian/Nubian does because my oldest doe came in to heat which in turn made my other two come in within a day. Of course what ensued was a three ring circus of chasing bleating talking tail wagging tongue flapping behavior and goats running everywhere! It is very hot here in Texas and so my Buck seemed to be doing most of his buckly duties at night when it was cooler. The second night of the party, I heard what sounded like a tank running around the yard pinning the does to the wall and some screaming and baaing but they kept getting in an area of the pen that I couldn't see well but I'm almost certain he got my oldest and maybe one of the others. Next morning looked like everyone's bottoms were a little red, although it could have just been because they were in fact in heat- but all my does seemed to have quit flagging, and my Buck isn't all that excited now. I was at work much of the last week during the day while he was there, and so unfortunately I didn't get the luxury of actually witnessing a true hit. If they have all seemed to calm down could that be a sign that they are done and he managed to hit the mark on them all, or is that any indicator whatsoever. I do know that before I put him in there his scrotum looked like it would explode it was so full and now is significantly less so...? Any pointers on this? And if so, how long should I leave him in with them to be sure they get bred? I plan to put him back in the buck pen once I feel they are certainly done. Thanks for any guidance you can offer! I really really want to get some babies from this buck!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Keep an eye on them in 19 to 21 days and see if the signs of heat come back. if not than he likely got them all. They only stay in heat for a short time so the decreased activity only means that they are naturally done with this cycle. The real proof is seeing if they come back in to heat for their next cycle or no...

·
Rusty
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your response! Someone told me I should wait five more days to watch and make sure that they were really done-but Red didn't seem like he candy coated his interest those first couple of days. lol

·
2,203 Posts
Beautiful buck!!

They consistently cycle. Meaning their heat will end regardless of being bred, or being bred and sticking (or not). Monitor the next two heats, but good luck on the pregnancies!

·
Rusty
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I just love love love his color and the texture of his coat-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts