The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking to get a donkey for protection for my girls would you buy an adult jenny 4yrs old that is currently out with goats and protecting them or would you go with a young 8month old jenny never been with goats or a weanling jack been in field with mom and goats since birth I'm just trying to avoid any issues with a donkey hurting rather than protecting my goats thanks for any insight

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would stay away from the jack. I've heard too many stories of jacks killing calves and kids. I'm not sure if that still applies after they've been castrated, though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm nervous of the jack as well even though he is the youngest. I'm just worried in general about something going wrong we have barn kittens and chickens out with the goats would a donkey view a cat as a threat?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Depends on the donkey. I would rather go with the older girl that is proven. I would find out how she handles barn cats.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would agree with going for the older more seasoned one over the rest. I have heard more issues with people having their guard donkey killing kids at birth thinking they were a threat. Therefore I would like to have one that is proven over the chance of one not having it all figured out in the beginning. Best wishes.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm nervous of the jack as well even though he is the youngest. I'm just worried in general about something going wrong we have barn kittens and chickens out with the goats would a donkey view a cat as a threat?
I would imagine so if there are kids in the equation - especially newborn kids. I have a house cat that spends a lot of time in the pens playing with the weaning and yearling girls but, come kidding time, they still view her as a threat and will head-butt her to kingdom come every chance they get. Why would it be any different for a guardian animal?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we had discussed getting one last year and decided against it, but if you are going to get one i agree go with older experienced one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts