The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to purchase a LaMancha to add to my small herd and I finally found a registered LaMancha farmer closer to my area. I took a visit to his farm. His LaManchas are HUGE!!! And I'm talk'n HUGE! I told him about my small herd and shared with him about the breed I have; 1 full blooded average sized Alpine, 1 Alpine mix (mini Alpine), and her three month old wether (which he is already the size of his mother). He told me that his goats would be too big to be around my goats.. that my goats would get hurt! But I thought in any herd, once they establish who the leader would be (and it definately would be the LaMancha), then they could live with one another just fine? I know by seeing his LaManchas that I would have to make my fencing stronger than what it is
now. My three goats range from 40lbs to 65lbs.
If I had to guess.. I would have to say they must
range from 120lbs to 140lb? Is this farmer
correct? My plan was to buy a yearling or an adult... or should I buy a doeling instead so that she is small enough as to not intimidate my goats? Your thoughts on this is appreciated! Thanx!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Is your full size Alpine a kid or adult? An Alpine should be as big as a LaMancha. I had an Alpine mix and she was 150 lbs.

I would buy a doeling so she can get bullied by the others. Then when she is older, hopefully she will have some respect for them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Both, my average sized Alpine.... probably more between small and average size (2 yrs +) (65 lbs) and my mini Alpine (3 yrs +) (55lbs) are both adults. My wether kid is 3 months old (40 lbs) and already the size of his mom, the mini Alpine. The two adults will not get any bigger than what they are now. I expect my wethered kid to be bigger than both girls when he is full grown.

·
2,203 Posts
Both, my average sized Alpine.... probably more between small and average size (2 yrs +) (65 lbs) and my mini Alpine (3 yrs +) (55lbs) are both adults. My wether kid is 3 months old (40 lbs) and already the size of his mom, the mini Alpine. The two adults will not get any bigger than what they are now. I expect my wethered kid to be bigger than both girls when he is full grown.
Id say my jr milkers are anywhere from 100-125#, mature sr does sitting around 150-160#. PB Alpine and Saanen. Big girls.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The farmer is incorrect actually. I have 2 girls roughly 150-160 lbs Nubian/Lamancha 2 kinders, about 45-50 lbs..., oberhasli's probably 80-90 lbs..., and they all get along... You will have a week or so where they have to figure who is herd queen... but they should get along. I would however get a doeling to train to your liking... Or a sweet yearling...

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
size doesn't matter...either they will get along or they wont..usually once they are established thy can at the very least tolerate each other. In any herd, regardless of size we need to watch for bullies...and take action when needed..I have a 2 year old Lamancha Doe who is as small as my Yearlings..very small for a lamancha and I have my large saanen...all live happy together....My Saanen buck is about 250 # while my yearling lamancha buck is 180# and our 9 month old Nubian is about 100# now..all live very happy together, hope to introduce Bleu to the boys pen after breeding season has passed, he's Nigerian...;)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
We have a verity of goat sizes and ages and they do fine. The herd boss weight taps at 210 lbs when not being milked. She loves to put everything into her milk and is hard to keep weight on towards the end of her lactation. But we even have does as big as 230 lbs and every year around this time we push the yearlings into the main herd to make room for weaned babies. And although there is a few days of chaos, as long as the smaller animals dont get trapped into a confined space, after that few days, all settles down pretty much and life goes on as normal.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
My Alpine doe was 4 years old and about 140 I would say... she was huge...

Attachments

·
730 Posts
I have an Alpine doe that is herd queen over my big ole Boers. So I have to agree..>> Size DOES NOT MATTER (in this case)!.... .lololol...
Best of luck with your new addition!

·
1,524 Posts
I have had a mixed herd of full sized dairy does, Nigerian Dwarfs and Boers. They all got along just fine. The herd queen was one of the older Nigerians!

I have some huge Lamanchas too. However, the weights you gave are pretty average, at least from what I have had for goats in the past 30 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts