The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beylabee Saanens
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to train Echo (pygmy goat) for the last month nearly every day to walk on the lead. She will not budge one bit unless you totally drag her (which I would never do in the showring ). I have tried pushing her from behind but she wont move her front legs and just screams. I have also tried putting her favourite treat in front of her but nothing works. She is so sweet when off the lead, but so stubborn when on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Need them badly! :Thankies:

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
When she pulls against(resists) let her and when she release pressure that is a plus.

I tie up the goat to a pole semi snug, not to loose or to tight and let her pull against herself, she will eventually give in. This helps train her when you are walking her same results.
Watch her every minute, she is tied, have a knife ready in case she gets into trouble. Have a collar or halter on her, so she doesn't choke herself.

When she has excepted that. Try to walk her. When she gives tensions(resists) hold there, until she steps forward, that is a good start,reward with a pet kind word or treat, do this, each time, you get a step or a few more steps. Work with her for 15 minutes, make it enjoyable. Try to give treats, if she will take them.
If she wants to walk on her own, a different direction to start, let her walk where she wants to go. If there is a tree or forage to nibble on, walk her to it, make it fun.
If you have someone that can walk a trained goat, get them in front of you. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do some research on "clicker training". A lot of what you find will be for dogs, but people use it with goats as well, with very good results.

Here are some examples:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts