The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We noticed last weekend that one of our boer does wasn't looking too good, but we let her be. Today, she is about ready to collapse. Her muscles tremble and she sways about. We separated her from the herd a few minutes ago. We've searched for different diseases and she doesn't have the symptoms for them, but something is obviously wrong.

She looks like she has a big lump behind her jaw, but I was feeling it and comparing it to other goats and it fell normal. She suddenly lost a lost of weight and I don't think she's eating. As I said earlier, she is about ready to collapse. Her temp was 103.7 when she was laying in the sun. Her gums are very pale.

We have given her Bo-Se, Propylene o
Gycol (in case she is having late pregnancy toxemia), LA-200, Probiotics, and Vitamon B Complex today. We have no idea what is going on.
Grass Soil Tail Fur Shadow

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have you checked her FAMACA? Look at her inner eyelid and compare it to the FAMACHA chart. You can easily find one online if you google it. The pale gums sound like she has parasites....most likely the barberpole worm. But double check her inner eyelid.

·
Super Moderator
32,150 Posts
Do check lower inner eye lids for color and see this chart to decide how pale she is.
If needing to be dewormed choose a gentle one for now..like ivomectin. Do not use any injectable or pour on orally as it can cause more problems for her. Booster in 10 days.
Start anemia protocol if pale
Red cell 6 cc per 100 pounds once daily for a week then once a week until good color returns
B 12 shot or B complex once daily
30 cc of 50/50 acv/ water once daily
High protien feed, alfalfa and natural browse food. Pine is wonderful food.
Fresh raw garlic is beneficial as well.
I would also support her with tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
Acv
Molasses
20-30 cc water to mix and drench 4 times a day

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
@goodenuff any update? My guess is that she is suffering from severe anemia due to parasites (probably barberpole worm) but of course the only way to get an accurate diagnosis is to have a vet examine her. I would get a fecal done ASAP. If she is not eating and drinking then she probably needs to be tubed so she can get nutrients and have an IV started for fluids.

What is her FAMACHA score? https://web.uri.edu/sheepngoat/files/FAMACHA-Scoring_Final2.pdf

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been home for a day, so I don't know how she is. I did share this thread with my grandma though. I haven't heard anything about her but I also haven't heard anything about her dying. I'll let yall know tomorrow. Thank you for all of the input!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, CC died Thursday morning. My grandparents ended up dissecting her to see if they could tell what was wrong. Her gallbladder appeared to be very inflamed and her stomach was not digesting her food; the food in her rectum just looked like chewed food and she has oats in there, which they haven't had for a little bit. They looked for worms, and there was only a few; not very many.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, CC didn't have any milk in her udder, not even a little bit. I'm a bit worried about her baby since she refuses to be bottlefed and only wants to eat alfalfa. Her kid is a month old.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found out my grandma took pictures! This is her gallbladder with the liver on our left and something seems to be infected or something about the gallbladder. Grandma said she's pretty sure that the lesions in the liver were already there; doesn't think she did anything to it.
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Vegetable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.