The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian alpine cross doeling, almost 5 months old. We suspected coccidiosis so we gave neomycin three weeks ago and she seemed a little better, like she was on the mend. Then got a case of bottle jaw; a friend said to treat it with Ivomec injectable, but give it orally. Again, seemed better then relapsed. She started seeming weak and lethargic again, so I gave her neomycin again last week. Seemed ok yesterday morning (for how she's been lately at least). Now she can barely stand. Gave electrolytes. Don't even know what to think it is. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
coccidia is a parasite so an antibiotic alone won't do the trick. You need to treat with Sulmet or something else that kills coccidia. Ivomec kills worms, but not cocci...Try a direct cocci treatment, if you kow that's what it is...get a fecal to know for sure if you can, but with her down, I'd go ahead and start treatment while you wait on the fecal results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right the neomycin is a sulfa drug. I've been told that's kills the cocci. Is that right? Out of desperation I made an appt with the vet but that's not till later this afternoon. I'm not even positive of what it is?! Don't know what to treat for

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 30 min from tractors if they have something that will help. Like I said a friend told neomycin was what to use for cocci. If there's something else ill get it. Already lost two doelings this spring, really don't want to loose another

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crap so I've been giving her the wrong med?!? Her black color has faded; does that mean copper defiecent? Poop is normal. Don't know temp. My wife and I do the goats together, I'm at work, my wife is calling me with into

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
I agree, get a fecal done and ask for Cocci fecal as well..in the mean time she is most likely anemic if she has bottle jaw...red cell is good to help rebuild the red blood cells....vit B 12 injection is RX but also a support for anemia..barpole and liver fluke are the most common worm to cause bottle jaw,..I would choose Valbazen (1 cc per 10#) which is oral wormer for her being so young....work on getting her hydrated with a electrolytes....green leaves are good for her to eat

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would go ahead and do the vet. They can do a full check over. I would not be surprised if this little one is not dehydrated also. I had a doe years ago with Cocci so bad that I had to give Chorid and something else. I was so new then I did not think to ask, but now I am thinking it was a probiotic.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
hows your little doe doing ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts