The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new goat owner all of 8 months and have two Fainting goat does. I have been looking for information on what could be wrong with one of my does and decided to post a thread to see if anyone else has had this issue. So let me tell you what has been happening.

First off both does look good, fur is shiny, ears & tail up, active and eating. I didn't know I had a problem until one of my does peed and her urine was reddish brown. I took a sample to the vets and the vet said it was hemoglobin in her urine not blood. I also took a fecal sample as well and she had a couple of barber worms but not enough to treat. So the vet is thinking it is anaplasmosis (parasite that attached to the red blood cells) or liver fluke. The vet gave me Agrimycin 100 and to give 7 injections every other day. After one week she still has red urine so we brought her in. They did a blood smear and nothing showed( anaplasmosis,liver fluke, copper toxicity) up though she said new red blood cells were being made. In the mean time my doe peed while we were there and it was yellow. Vet took a sample of that and there was nothing wrong. The vet did say she was very anemic almost to the point of blood transfusions but didn't want to do that if all possible. She said goats don't fare well with it. She put her on iron for 10 days and wants to check her in two weeks. When we brought her back home her urine was red again.

Well I am down to one injection and my does urine is still red but lighter. The vet and us are puzzled:shrug:. The vet thinks it is anaplasmosis more than liver flukes but she said both are uncommon where we live in SW VA. She also said it takes about three weeks for anaplasmosis to leave the body. We are at week two.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas ?????:wallbang:

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
are you feeding her water from a bottle??? Goats can get Hemoglobinuria (Water intoxication) from too much water....

http://goat-link.com/content/view/198/33/#.VFOM_PTF92A

liver fluke is well known to cause bottle jaw one goat is anemic..any swelling under her chin? look at this chart and grade her eye lids...http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.VFONg_TF92A
where does she land?
wormy to the point of anemia usually n=but not always has other indications such as dull coat, lethargicness, ect....

check temp..101.5-103.5 is normal range...

is she pooping berries, eating and drinking just fine? active and alert?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
The symptoms that occur with anaplasmosis are usually subclinical, but clinical
manifestations may be triggered by malnutrition and other stress conditions such as
parasitism. The most consistent findings include inability to exercise, fever up to 107
degrees F, depression, weakness, pale mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, and
increased heart rate. The only way to accurately diagnose anaplasmosis requires
laboratory confirmation.
https://www.famu.edu/cesta/main/assets/File/coop_extension/herds/Anaplasmosis_in_Goats.pdf

Hum from your discription, I dont see this being the issue..??

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I checked the chart and she is a 4. That is why my vet but her on 5CC of iron drench for 10 days and wants to see her in two weeks.
She is pooping berries, eating & drinking just fine and active and alert.
Her fecal sample showed two barber worms and vet didn't want to treat for that. Her coat is shiny and soft, ears & tail up.Puzzling ????
And last she is not bottle feeding she is a 1 1/2 yr old doe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told the vet I was thinking it was liver flukes. We have a lot of white tail dear where we live and snails. She said it gets to cold here for the liver fluke to survive in our area. The anaplasmosis reading what you sent me doesn't sound like what she has. This is very frustrating and hard on our doe who runs from us now because of the injections.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I would also be giving her daily B 12 shots to help her rebuilt red blood cells...you can also mix 50/50 ACV and water and drench 20-30 cc once daily to help speed recover.

high protien feeds, green leaves, vines, pine and cedar all help her rebuild red blood cells...

of course without figuring why she is anemic it will be hard to expect recovery if the reason is reaccuring...

there are many plants that can cause anemia as well...such onion type plants, this link suggests diffferent causes...its a good read...

http://books.google.com/books?id=lY...e&q=plants that cause anemia in goats&f=false

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Biomycin is the same medication as LA200 but with out the stinging carrier...if you need to continue these shots..I would switch over..la 200 is a very painful medication..

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I told the vet I was thinking it was liver flukes. We have a lot of white tail dear where we live and snails. She said it gets to cold here for the liver fluke to survive in our area. The anaplasmosis reading what you sent me doesn't sound like what she has. This is very frustrating and hard on our doe who runs from us now because of the injections.
I live in sw va as well and we battled liver fluke in four does this summer. Va is nor cold enough not hot enough till off most parasites sadly.

Sadly with all this rain for the past two years it's only making parasites give times worse.

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I live in sw va as well and we battled liver fluke in four does this summer. Va is not cold enough not hot enough till off most parasites sadly.
I agree

Livefluke does not cause blood in urine however, at least not that I have ever read or seen

EDIT...
In addition to the direct damage to the liver, there is another problem liver flukes can precipitate and that is Redwater.
I stand corrected :) I read this years ago,,,,brain fog for sure...

I think I would pen the girls up and dry lot them and do a search for plants that maybe the problem...rule it out at least...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Cathy- though maybe-

"If" liver fluke- liver fluke damages the liver causing it to not filter properly.

That would give the kidneys a harder job and could cause the hemoglobin to be passed into the urine.

What all did the vet check for when she did a urinalysis do you know?

Samantha

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our poor girl runs from us now with the injection we have to give her. If it is painful she will be a impossible to catch. We were thinking of taking them off that pasture and give them an area near our barn and have them in the barn so I can keep a close eye on her. Thankfully I have only two goats right now and can do that. Is there any other way to give that to her. The B12 do I have to get them from my vet?
I just read the info you sent me and they mention kale ingestion. I gave them some call several week ago. I though Kale was OK for them?
Was I wrong.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
"If" liver fluke- liver fluke damages the liver causing it to not filter properly.

That would give the kidneys a harder job and could cause the hemoglobin to be passed into the urine.
Yes, if the load was heavy, I can see this can happen BUT the vet only found two eggs??..such a mystery

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If a goat ingest large numbers though the liver can become infested with no egg count because they aren't mature enough. It results in enemia and 90% mortality rate from what I have read. The only way to diagnose is necropsy and we don't want to go there

Samantha

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need to ask the vet again to give me what she was exactly looking for. She was looking for the hemoglobin and said there was nothing the second testing when the doe peed at the vets.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
B 12 is from the vet yes..or you can get B complex PLUS which has plenty of 12 in it to help her...

strange its just the one goat that is having a problem...if its dietary you would think both would unless one is more suseptable or enjoys plants the other will not eat..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
someone said to give her IvomecPlus and see. I am not sure if I want to start trying all sort of stuff. I know IvomecPlus does kill liver flukes.
I hadn't seem any buttercup in there in the summer.
Also I mentioned Kale.. does that hurt them. The only weird thing is my other doe is just fine and they eat the same stuff.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If it were me I would have them do blood work to check her organ functions just to make sure nothing is going on there.

My doeling had red urine but hers was from a UTI which pen g cleared up nicely. But when I saw her pee blood it scared me because the first thing I thought of was internal trama.

Samantha

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
If a goat ingest large numbers though the liver can become infested with no egg count because they aren't mature enough

Good point Samantha ..

I agree...have the run a blood panel...best course of action is to rule out cause..

Ivomec plus does kill liver fluke (1 cc per 40# sub Q, sings alot) or 1 cc per 33# oral, should not be done oral on heavy loaded goats) as will Valabzen...valbazen is oral,, so no shot : ) 1 cc per 10#...if it were me, at this point I would not hesitate to worm her...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.