Don't you Ever worry---

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I was thinking of shipping kids in, you know, old mountain farm, twin creeks, promisedland, and you know how I am---I dream big---but, besides that, do you ever worry when you purchase and ship a high quality doe/buck, that no one will buy their kids for what they are worth?
    Like where I am---the nearest shows are North Idaho Fair, Central Washington Fair and the SPokane Interstate Fair,all of which are adga sanctioned shows and they are all 3 hrs away from where I live, and there are only a handful of dairy breeders within a 80 mile radius who breed registered stock.
    What do you think when you take chances and buy high quality animals?
    And what do you do to advertise your herd?

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are saying. But I am buying a buckling goat all the way out in South Carolina. I have never seen the goat in person, never seen the does in person, and everything is based on trust here. I could be getting hickory jack for all I know. So I hope everything turns out ok. I really wish she was a member of TGS. I would really feel a lot better.

So, I hope I get good kids from this buck. :)

Dayna

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is something I was concerned about too. I don't think you'll be able to sell them for as much but with this economy, even big-time dairy goat breeders have to lower their prices some. So, I would focus on producing quality goats, whether that be by purchasing goats locally or shipping in.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    From what I have learned:

Get references from the breeder, if they are good then they should be able to give you the numbers of a couple people who have been satisfied with their purchases.

Get pictures of the relatives. Get pictures of the dam's udder as well as the Sire's udder. Get pictures of udders futher back if you can. IMO udder pictures are very very important.

Also don't get tricked by blood lines. Blood lines are not everything. There are plenty of well bred goats that are flops you just don't hear about them. Don't get me wrong there are lots of goats from big breeders that do well in the ring.

You need to look at show records too. I've noticed some herds do well in the ring even when not being shown by their breeder.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are asking if we worry about getting a fair price for kids born out of pricey goats you have purchased.

No I dont worry about it because I choose not to purchase from those big name breeders. I find locally "famous" and even not so famous goats that have done well and meet the criteria for a well put together goat.

Also you cant expect to get high prices for goats untill you establish yourself. Even though the goats may have all it takes to be winners people still look at the herd name and many times thats the seller (for good and for bad). An established breeder here in NJ that itsnt nationally known told me recently at a meeting that her lowest sale was for 400.00 and every kid she put up for 1000.00+ all went like hot cakes and she ran out of goats to sell! She has carried over reservations into this next year! While I myself who doesnt have nearly the experience but has some nice looking, winning goats wouldnt even dream of going above 450.00 for my highest price. I couldnt get people to pay those prices. I hope at some point I can but right now.....it isnt happening.

The way to get the prices you want is to market properly -- and get them in the show ring. Those that pay the big bucks are those who show or plan to show and they will only purchase kids and adults who have proven themselves in the show ring (or in the case of kids it would be the parents proving themselves) Also being on milk test would be a drawl as well.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You probably wont get it right off the bat, but i always tell people to buy and breed the best they can afford.
    I brought in a pretty high priced buck kid several years ago. the first time i took his kids out i didnt get a second glance. When his yearling daughter was reserve best in show, i had a lot more interest. All it takes is one doe to do well in the ring, and you start making a name for yourself.
    beth

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'm just a worry wart anyway. You don't know what it took me to throw caution to the wind on this one. But, my husband says it's only money. There is more of it out there, and more to be had. So just think of it as a learning experience.

Dayna

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Oh yeah..... I understand what you're saying. I have some of the same concerns too. I was very careful when starting my Pygora herd and stuck to "proven" bloodlines..... although I haven't sold any offspring yet......... I compare my own to some other local breeders (local to me is anyone within a 4 hour drive) and I think to myself that if they are getting $525 per kid, I should have no trouble getting $600+, especially if I can get a few show wins under the "herd belt."

I only had 2 kids, a buck and a doe born this year and they were too cute to let go.

Attached Files:

• Tink.jpg
      Tink.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views: