dont you love weaning??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 27, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    UGH!!! I can't listen to the moaning anymore!

Little Anberlin is now 3 months old, 60-ish pounds and sucks the life out of her mom! poor katie is bony because her kid wont stop sucking. So.. yesterday was the day I moved her across the property, along with Pandora 5 months old.

btw Pandora didn't grow very well, I think winter kids dont grow as well here?? They were inside with 50F constantly. she's the same size as Anberlin who is average I think. It was probably because I had crappy hay during the last part of winter when i ran out and they were back to the good stuff when Anber was born at 16lbs...

don't you all love weaning?? lol

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow 16lbs? Mama must be a flexible girl!

We haven't weaned any yet, but when we do we'll wean all 3 of our kids together. However, we have 2 bucks and a doe. I've got to figure out who I can possibly pen the doeling with when the time comes so she isn't by herself since I wouldn't be able to put her with the boys.....

Oh, and we'll block the entrance to the back yard and use it as a pen for weaning, so the doe will be right up behind the house....she is very vocal...haha...

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I put my bucklings in the buck pen for weaning...wethers go with the doelings for weaning :) If you have a pen that is next to mom so the babies can still lay with and visit with mom but can't nurse I've learned that weaning goes MUCH easier for all of them... and me since its quieter!!! LOL :laugh:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep... winter is hard on them... they burn off the feed ...fed to them to keep warm...if you where forced to feed less quality hay.... that is why she has not grown as well..... but she is still young yet so she does still have a chance...to do some growing.... :wink:

And Ah yes... weaning..... :hair: :doh: :help: :thumb: :crazy:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I have one pen near the girls but it has the bucks in it.. much easier starting to figure out heat cycles.

yeah, she's starting to catch up weight wise too.. :)

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Well then that is perfect, because the pen surrounds the backyard on two sides. And the other pen is inside the big pen. :)

7. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    It's definitely a pain in the tookus if you're keeping the babies. The ones I'm selling I don't worry about. They just go home, no more mama, no problem. They cry for a day or two but at 3 months, their dams are pretty sick of them anyhow and they don't seem to suffer from a quick cutoff from milk. For the ones we're keeping, we aren't set up to separate them, so we just use VetWrap to tape the does and leave the babies with their mamas. Eventually, after a few weeks, they get the idea and stop trying to nurse.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :thumb: :greengrin:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ;) hey pam has your new herdsire been weaned yet?? I think I'm pretty anxious to see him!! at least give me a clue. lol.. Sparkmaster has really gotten deeper too. :shocked:

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I have never had to wean babies from mommies yet, but I have weaned one bottle baby, and in the process of weaning 3. They don't whine very much. I noticed when I reduced from 2 to 1 bottles a day, the 3 ladies I am feeding now were very noisy for 2 days. After they learned they get a bottle at night instead of both in the morning and night, they seemed fine. They have plenty to eat.

I am getting ready to pull the bottle PERIOD from them though.. I'll see how that goes, LOL!

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lol.. it's bad listening to them yell. pandora screams : Maaaah!!, then Rush answers: Whatt Wahattt, and Anberlin just lets loose; Wahhhhhhahhhaaaa..aa.aa.muah.... lol

12. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I really love the crying, lol, it CAN get to your head though. We call the little girls "3 headed choir"