Dora kidded need ?? answered

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Feb 24, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    My goat Dora kidded this evening and she had to do it while I had to be away for a few hours. She had a buck and doe. The doe is doing well. The buck... I'm not sure ....wanted an opinion. He is up and moving and whimpers. The other seems to have nursed and energetic. The boy is a little shaky, and has sucked but not very long less than few minutes or at least what I have seen. He could have before I got home. His temp is 101.4. I have heat lamps up and he is dry. Mother seems to be doing well.
    I just have never done this before so I have nothing to compare him to! Thanks. I will post pics afterwhile :clap: :cool:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congratulations! His temp is fine and him being shaky, well most newborns are. Unless you mean shivering? If he seems weak give him some Nutri Drench and maybe see if he'll nurse again. If not then work on getting him to, babies only suck for a few seconds at a time also and usually as often as mom wants them to. If her teat is plugged it may attribute to him not getting enough.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    His temp is fine. You might want to try rubbing him a little to encourage the sucking reflex. If he seems cold you can cut the sleeves off an old sweater/coat and make a little coat for him. He might just need a little more time. Don't forget to give mom some warm molasses water. Congrats and I can't wait to see pics! :stars:

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Congrats on the new kids!!!!

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Re: Dora kidded need ?? answered added pics

I've got a heat lamp set up over their crate. I put onesies on them. I put him next to Mom, and he sucked a little more. Glad to know they only suck for a few seconds at time. I was concerned he wasn't drinking long enough plus I wasn't sure if he nursed any before I arrived. He seems to be less shaky. I rubbed him with a towel which did seem to help. Dora took one sip of the molasses water I guess she doesn't like it. I feed her some grain, very eager to eat. So far, I think overall everything is going well. :dance:
    I can't thank everyone enough for advice and support. An invaluable resource!!! :sun:

Here are some pics...no names yet though. The buck is a tricolor...white, black, and brown
    The doe is black with a white belt. It was a little dark in the barn! :stars:
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/B ... ure043.jpg
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/B ... ure042.jpg
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/B ... ure040.jpg
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/B ... ure036.jpg

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Very cute babies! Some don't like the molasses water too much. My one doe seems to always turn her nose up at it but the others will drink it down like crazy. You might want to give the boys onesie a little trim around the hoo hoo area. Otherwise they will get wet. For the first day or two they will take lots of quick sips. My little girl(just 5 days old now) can't seem to decide what teat she likes. She will switch between teats every 2 seconds, but her belly is full so she just must like the extra effort for her milk. My mom thinks she can't decide which side gives the yummiest milk. lol

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They are very cute and look like any healthy newborn should look! Good job! You made it thru your first are you ready for the next one?
    Also, in the next few days and as long as they continue to do well, you may be able to remove the shirts. They'll be strong enough by then and you do have a heat lamp for them, just watch that they don't seem too warm. I won't use a heatlamp but have put sweaters on my mini kids, they really know how to cuddle close to each other and mom to stay warm. They're hardier than most people think but I still feel better with the sweaters on them...they're cute too!

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Great! Very pretty kids! I'm so happy to hear a "newbie" had kids without problems! Do you have others kidding too? Congrats!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Congratulations :stars:

How is the little guy doing?

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I went through a similar experience when my doe kidded back in January. She would not really have anything to do with her doeling. The doeling was real wobbly and just did not seem right. I was fortunate that my buckling was going to be a bottle baby, so I pulled him a day earlier then I wanted and then mom took to the doeling wonderfully!

How are the babies doing now? Is he doing better??

-Allison

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I was hoping he was doing Ok too-

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Cute babies!!

If he is still weak, I would give him a little selenium if you have it. I don't know the dose for minis though, I usually give my standard size newborns a quarter cc at birth sub Q.

13. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Thanks to everyone's help! Both the little girl and boy are doing extremely well. They were both nursing and playing well today. Dora is too. :sun: My son named the black and white one Oreo she weighed 6lbs-8oz, and the tricolor Fluffy he weighed 6lbs 14oz. I weighed them this morning, and their tummies feel full.
    Hope everyone's season is going well!

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's always a good thing to hear when babies are doing well!! Good choice of names too they suit them! :dance:

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks for updating us - thats great to hear :leap: