The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you probably want me to stop asking all these question, but your the only ones I can ask because none of my family or friends have ever raised goats so they don't know any more than I do when it comes to goat care, and you can't trust everything you look up on google ;) and I think most of you are experienced goat owners and I trust your advice and judgement, so I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying so don't feel like you need to answer me if your too busy or just don't want to. So how many grams of copper should i give a 1 year old 55 pound ND doe that has just a tiny patch of rust colored hair showing up on her legs ? I tried getting a picture, but the rusty colored patch is so light that you can't see it on the picture. She's definitely not super copper deficient, but I want to nip it the butt before it gets worse. And how much should i give a 3 year old 75 pound ND that is a bit worse and seems to have poor hoof health which I think is a another sign of being copper deficiency they are by far not badly copper deficient as some of the pictures i've seen but I'm sure it will get worse the longer I let it go. I posted about this before but didn't get a definite answer. I heard 1 gram per 22 pounds should I just order 2 gram copper bolus and give them each one, since their not too bad? and give another 3-4 months later or just give them each a 4 gram bolus? what brand would you recommend? How easy is it to over dose copper to the point it kills a goat? I definitely don't want to hurt them. But i want to breed my doe that is the worse and I heard it can be hard for them to get bred is their copper deficient . Thanks for any help

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
I have what I call in between weights with my goats as well. I use the 4 gram size of Copasure brand currently. (88 lbs per capsule) 2 gram size will treat 44 lbs, so 1 capsule for the 55 lb goat. 1 and 1/2 capsule to treat 66 lbs for the 75 lb goat. If you use the 4 gram size it changes to 1/2 of a bolus for 44 lbs (55 lb goat) and a whole bolus for 88 lbs (75 lb goat) I know these amounts aren't their exact weight, it's just as close towards their weighs as possible. The capsules can be opened up by pulling the more slender end upwards and off without spilling any out. Holding the capsule end up to the light allows the content to be seen easier and I eyeball what half of the amount will be. I pour the contents of the 1 whole bolus and the 1 and 1/2 size bolus into the middle of a fig newton sliced in half longways for the newton lovers and inside a piece of banana cut longways for the banana lovers and press the treats back together firmly. They scarf those favored treats down so fast, I doubt they even tasted what they just ate. I save the other half in the capsule and use the contents for the next time. Once what I have on hand is used up, will be getting the cattle size copper bolus and dividing those up according to weight. 1 cc/ml measured inside of an empty syringe will treat 60 lbs. As for how often it needs to be given, that depends on the individual goat. Some may need it every 3 months and others might need it every 4 months as an example. Changes beginning in their coats will help you judge how often to give a bolus.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have what I call in between weights with my goats as well. I use the 4 gram size of Copasure brand currently. (88 lbs per capsule) 2 gram size will treat 44 lbs, so 1 capsule for the 55 lb goat. 1 and 1/2 capsule to treat 66 lbs for the 75 lb goat. If you use the 4 gram size it changes to 1/2 of a bolus for 44 lbs (55 lb goat) and a whole bolus for 88 lbs (75 lb goat) I know these amounts aren't their exact weight, it's just as close towards their weighs as possible. The capsules can be opened up by pulling the more slender end upwards and off without spilling any out. Holding the capsule end up to the light allows the content to be seen easier and I eyeball what half of the amount will be. I pour the contents of the 1 whole bolus and the 1 and 1/2 size bolus into the middle of a fig newton sliced in half longways for the newton lovers and inside a piece of banana cut longways for the banana lovers and press the treats back together firmly. They scarf those favored treats down so fast, I doubt they even tasted what they just ate. I save the other half in the capsule and use the contents for the next time. Once what I have on hand is used up, will be getting the cattle size copper bolus and dividing those up according to weight. 1 cc/ml measured inside of an empty syringe will treat 60 lbs. As for how often it needs to be given, that depends on the individual goat. Some may need it every 3 months and others might need it every 4 months as an example. Changes beginning in their coats will help you judge how often to give a bolus.
Thanks so much, I only have three goats two that look like they need copper the third one looks fine I think Ill get the 2gram copper bolus since there cheaper and I have such a small herd :giggle:

·
Registered
304 Posts
My kitchen scale is not accurate and I have goats of various sizes so what I do is open the capsule, take one of those disposable blades/ a card..pour the contents of 1 4g capsule onto a plate and divide it into four equal piles using the edge of blade/card. I take each small pile to be 1g and pour the needed dose in scooped out banana pieces which the goats gobble up in seconds. If you offer another piece of plain Banana immediately after, they will not chew it as much in their hurry to get the next bit😉
Hope this helped!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
know some of you probably want me to stop asking all these question, but your the only ones I can ask because none of my family or friends have ever raised goats so they don't know any more than I do when it comes to goat care, and you can't trust everything you look up on google ;) and I think most of you are experienced goat owners and I trust your advice and judgement, so I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying so don't feel like you need to answer me if your too busy or just don't want to.
We do not feel this way!!! Ask as many questions as you can possibly think of. We LOVE answering them! It's what we are here for. 😉

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do not feel this way!!! Ask as many questions as you can possibly think of. We LOVE answering them! It's what we are here for. 😉
Thanks so much MellonFriend I just wasn’t sure if I was getting annoying, I cannot thank you guys enough, you have help me so much in my journey of being a goat mom, and I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have TGS

·
Super Moderator
32,307 Posts
Copper dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. If you give a tad more than they need it's not a big issue since they are slow release. I get that buying prepared capsules are easiest but just be aware...4 grams treat 88 pounds and 2 grams treat 44 pounds. I prefer breaking down a cattle size capsule and pouring to a syringe I have cut the top off of. This dose is 1 cc per 60 pounds which is darn close to 1 gram per 22 pounds. I top off the rods with probiotic paste to hold them in the syringe. I then "drench" them to my goat and follow quickly with a syring of water. (No needles involved)
Good luck

·
Registered
384 Posts
I watched a video about a goat owner putting it in a banana and the goats eating it like normal. That's how I've been giving the girls theirs and we've not had issues. I know there are different sides with it being given by itself or with food, but for now, this is working for me. The girls coats were feeling a bit rough and the color was fading a bit, so I just gave them one each of the 4 gram. Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I watched a video about a goat owner putting it in a banana and the goats eating it like normal. That's how I've been giving the girls theirs and we've not had issues. I know there are different sides with it being given by itself or with food, but for now, this is working for me. The girls coats were feeling a bit rough and the color was fading a bit, so I just gave them one each of the 4 gram. Good luck!
Thanks I’m going to try fig newtons because my picky goats don’t like bananas

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ask all the questions that you want. An informed goat owner is a good owner! Its the people that think they know everything
and end up ruining goats because they refuse to ask questions are the ones that are not looked on favorably.
Thanks so much, I by far don’t know everything about goats that I probably should, I’m so glad I found TGS it so nice to know if I don’t know what wrong with my goats or how to treat them, there’s probably somebody on here that does, and all with out the expensive vet bills 😊

1 - 17 of 17 Posts